YFZ Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
I have tried Barnett and Hinson from plates to baskets and the only clutch that I never had any trouble with was stock.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hinson is much stronger than stock the baskets don't notch out as fast and the baskets and pressure plate won't warp or fade as much with heat
That said a fresh OEM set up is the way to go they hold up just fine
If you have a 13 or older quad I'd consider the 14 slipper set up
Can be found on flea bay for 200$ or so and with that design I believe clutch life will be much longer plus you get all.the benefits of the slipper a Hinson slipper set up will cost you 800+++

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, I have a '14R and the clutch is great. The pull is extremely light, and the slipper function is great. It's not like a 2-stroke, with zero engine braking, but the engine braking is reduced with the '14R clutch. I like it a lot, and would replace mine with another OEM unit before I spent the money on a Hinson unit. The Hinson clutch is great, but for a BTL, you're likely to spend about $1k. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
No worries. Just to clarify, I am in no way saying anything bad about Hinson products-- at least not intentionally. I think their products are of the utmost quality, and I feel that they would likely outlast their Yamaha counterpart. I just feel that I would not be able to justify spending that kind of money unless I was racing for a living, and honestly, even then, I'd have to think hard about it (at least as a privateer). With the same amount of money, you could buy quite a few replacement sets of steels and fibers, and even buy a couple clutch assemblies from Yamaha before you reached the price of a Hinson BTL. Some people want a Hinson BTL, and some people may benefit from the installation of it, but I feel that I wouldn't get $1000 worth of use out of it. I'll stick with my factory '14R clutch for now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.