YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, first off I know this has been beaten like a dead horse. but I just want to hear from the experts on this site. you guys know who you are, I lurked 3 years before starting this post. Which is the best piston high-compression and pump fuel friendly available today. I dont want custom made or what ever. although I would consider buying more than one if it is a limited time production(again you know who I aim at, right). I dont want this to turn like gongshow threads like in 2010 through 2012 where bashing and ignorance was at a peak. Please and thank you. Feel free to pm me for offers or whatever. knowledge you want to share. I've built multiple v8 race engines so this is not my first kick to the cat.
ps, my bikes have intake and exhaust, cam modded, running on 100ll avgas and porting is in near future if time/money/wife allows. i ride at around 3000ft and if lower will mix with appropriate fuel.
Thanks in advance, and please make this thread something worthy

·
Registered
592 Posts
For starters, what year is your quad? If you go with CP, I believe from the offset,(Because pending crank, you'll be around 12.5:1) you could still run pump gas on their 13:1 piston. I've heard great things about Venom Pistons as well. I'm no expert though, so hopefully they chime in soon. Good luck with your build.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
sorry about that minor/major detail. it is for an 07 and 06 bikes. Venom pistons arent available anymore. thats why I specified available today. but thanks for answering. CP seems to be the only one that has a better review on any other one

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
I have a CP 13.75 shelf piston from kb motor sports for 2 years now. Couldn't be happier with it. Also, I don't think many recommend running av gas in these machines

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know not a whole lot of people recommend avgas but I ran it for 5 years in my banshee and that is the third year I ran in my 06 SS/SS, and just finished the break-in(10ish hours) on the 07(480 cyl works kit..i know, i know, free is free though.)no issues at all, seems to smooth out everything I dont like when its on supreme(94 octane v power). Race gas is special order and expensive as anything in alberta. too mouch trouble draining tank after each ride(MR4 I believe is that way) and c12 smell is too overwhelming for an attached garage. Hopefully Terse, mixxer, senior taco and such can chip in.
jeroen02, I didn`t like the Wiseco piston made for my banshee so I want to give other ones a shot.
Single or double compression ring, I know the pros and cons, but feel free to add also. more knowledge we can have on this thread the better it is.
thanks again

·
Super Moderator
3,149 Posts
If I remember right, Mixxer said the the Wiseco ( don't remember which compression) was very similar to the Venom. Do a quick search for Venom piston and see if it comes up- might have been in the KB thread.

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
I can only speak about pistons I've used, or tested.... then about pistons I've removed from motors......

I'd buy a CP Race shelf piston, and then adjust for desired deck height and squish band I prefer.

I'd imagine alot has changed over the years with other brands, and they may very well have better designs then they used to, But I have not seen all the current designs out for a opinion about them.

Maybe a current shelf piston comparison would be in order to compare specs and designs of "current" pistons available for the yfz..... ? Then the site could have a picture/ spec thread of pistons to see what is offered, price, weight, etc....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for your input terse. do you mean mx1026 or mx1p26? I just ride this thing hard in the trails and dunes when I can make it.
thanks for the input guys. keep them coming. if you can have as much info possible, pictures, weights, single or double comp. ring, skirt coating or not, domed or dished or flat top etc...
thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
thanks for your input terse. do you mean mx1026 or mx1p26? I just ride this thing hard in the trails and dunes when I can make it.
thanks for the input guys. keep them coming. if you can have as much info possible, pictures, weights, single or double comp. ring, skirt coating or not, domed or dished or flat top etc...
thanks in advance
MX1026

The MX1p26 looks like it's made for a 3.5mm longer rod.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so terse, with stock head now and 300ft and avgas, you recommend mixing with race fuel? for the occasional trip at lower altitude is fine, but full on race not so leery. and I will get the head ported probably by mixxer, send him both heads. no offence to OI, MMAD or the likes, just feel like he will get the power where I will use it.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
so terse, with stock head now and 300ft and avgas, you recommend mixing with race fuel? for the occasional trip at lower altitude is fine, but full on race not so leery. and I will get the head ported probably by mixxer, send him both heads. no offence to OI, MMAD or the likes, just feel like he will get the power where I will use it.
Good luck. Last I knew he still isnt taking any work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I guess that explains why he didn't chime in on this thread.

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
If your already av gas, then just stick to that. I wouldn't get obsessed with mixing it or not due to elevations.

I guess that explains why he didn't chime in on this thread.
Last I talked to Mixxer he has been really busy with his new house, and job. His house remodeling is taking up to much of his time for any side work. The way he talked it did not sound like his shop was set up yet for atv work.

·
Registered
791 Posts
If your already av gas, then just stick to that. I wouldn't get obsessed with mixing it or not due to elevations.

Last I talked to Mixxer he has been really busy with his new house, and job. His house remodeling is taking up to much of his time for any side work. The way he talked it did not sound like his shop was set up yet for atv work.
Mixxer told me he probably wouldn't have his tools un packed by spring :(

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mixxer told me he probably wouldn't have his tools un packed by spring :(
well that sucks.anyways engine isn't open yet, but I know I need a refresh on the top end, feels slower then earlier this spring. So for pistons, CP is in the lead with JE behind.
to add a twist, single or double compression rings? on two strokes that are wound up for a fair bit of time(mountain sleds) twin ring is way to go as they scrape heat(dyno proven, google rk tech) but costs 2hp ish on a 800r rotax engine. I dont mind a little less ring life but changing pistons every 40-50h seems a bit overkill I guess.
Also, vendors, if you can pm me prices shipped to Canada would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
You shouldn't have to replace a good aftermarket piston that 40-50hr interval. Rings maybe, depending on break in, oil quality and oil change intervals.

The biggest thing between single compression ring piston verses 2 ring, is less drag with the chance of a little less oil control.

I personally never had an issue with a single comp ring piston in a yfz motor, but 2 ringers could be considered more reliable.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.