YFZ Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best aftermarket stuff for sand riding? K&N or GYT-R filters? GYT-R Titanium Header and Muffler or ? GYT-R Nerf Bars or ? Best Motion Pro Throttle Kit? Rims and Tires?

Who has the best deals?

sanks

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
heres my take on the best of that you mentioned

air filter: pro design pro flo w/ k&n
exhaust: sparks
nerfs: ac
rims: hipers
tires: haulers

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I like the GYT-R stuff and if you feel the same way.. Bob at Magnolia Tractor has some super pricing on those components.

I also like the motion pro and for me I've got the custom set up put together by them which is a tubro thottle and calculates out to about 55 degrees twist.. they also market a 71 degree CR pro and vortex which is a 45 degree turn.

You may want to consider where you ride for the exhaust and if you need a spark arrestor and/or quiet core to meet noise limitiations.

·
Registered
97 Posts
:blah I wouldn't get nerfs for the sand, they don't do anything for you but hurt. You cann't move your bike with your feet and you always have to watch your step and step overthem. I take mine off for anything except racing and plus they are not functional in the sand, they are only good for racing because they protect another quad's tire form locking into you.
K&N is a good Idea but make sure to use an outerwear.
if you go on long dune rides get a pipe with a heat shield because is will protect you.
If you are a serious duner, I would get an aftermarket oil tank that has more oil capacity, revalve the stock shocks for dunes and get some outerwears to protect them. I would also put clear proctective film on all the aluminuim part you have like bumpers and such to protect them from getting sand blasted. if you have or are getting aftermarket rims and tires I would do the rims too if they are aluminuim. I think that hypers are the way to go though. as for the tires, if you race the drags and hill get a hauler there is nothing better, if you like to dune aggressively and turn sharp then get something like sand stars or sand sharks. On the front get dune tires don't use the stock for 2 reasons, the aftermarket rims make you wider and more stable and the tires have less drag through the sand and turn better. If you drag only get an adjustible axle and make it smaller so you are wider in the front than the rear so your rears go through undisturbed sand, if you don't drag get some wider a-arms like +3 and a good axle, like rpm or lonestar also adj and make it wider because it is the wider the better in the dunes you almost want to be square :lol. other than that have fun and be safe and don't litter

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rtyzf450,

Thanks for the info. I was under the impression the nerf bars keep your legs out from under the tire if you slip off the pegs. I guess not.

No way am I a serious duner, is there a big loss using the stock rims with sand tires?

rep

·
Registered
97 Posts
hey, sorry for the long wait on reply I just came from glamis :D . the nerfs do not protect you from the tires that is why you get the heel guards or you use the ones that came with the bike. there is not a problem using the stock rim but it is much better to get an aftermarket one. I like the red label aluminum rims because the will not bend on you. I think it is better to have the rims because you wont have to keep switching the tire every time you want to go. I have seperate tires for sand, xc, and mx. plus they are not that much money, I paid 250 at chapparral for my rims and tires for a full set of dunes. If you are not serious about going alot I would get the rears only and you can still have alot of fun
rims .019 cost 35 bucks for 8 in rim with offset in rear front were 42 for 10in with offset
tires cost 40 for the rear 38 for front
then I got a package deal because it was a sale. Mounting was free.
having fun in the dunes- priceless

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
rtyzf450,

Thanks again.

Let's see if I got it right, you have Dunetracker-Fronts w/ITP .190 22x8x10 and Sand Shark-Rears w/ITP .190 20x11x8? Let me know if I need any other specs to order.

As to your other advice; have fun (you bet) be safe (always) don't litter (never).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Let's see if I got it right, you have Dunetracker-Fronts w/ITP .190 22x8x10 and Sand Shark-Rears w/ITP .190 20x11x8? Let me know if I need any other specs to order.
yep you got it, I get 8-inch rims just because they wont bend on me and they are a better deal than those 10s. if you are going to be just a casual duner I would just get the blue or black lablel douglas or the itps that are the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts