YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like my battery isnt fully charging and causing my bike not to start. It runs great after it has been bump started. Just wondering if anyone has managed to get a free replacement from their dealer or yamaha? any info would be great, thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
I put a battery tender on mine. Here in Ohio it's been pretty cold, so it was real hard to keep it charged. It's pretty cool the way it hooks up, and then theres a plug hanging out by the grab bar on mine where you just plug it in when you park it. Kinda feels like pluggin in my block heater on my diesel. I also was going to try an R6 battery, theyre 2 more amps and are like a quarter inch taller, but with some spacers itd fit fine. I havent done this but i'm in the process of getting with my service department and seeing if it'd work.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I got 2 free batteries under warrantee. The one I got now works great . Try a YT12A-BS . You can find it out of a 2000 GSX-R street bike . Needs a little bit of mods to make it work in the stock battery holder , so Ive been told . Its the key setup for woods racers and trail riders . Stock battery needs to be run hard to keep its charge .

·
Registered
865 Posts
my dealer is CRAP. they wont fix my battery problem, they just charge it and say its fine.

well its not fine because it wont recharge itself and always ends up dead when im riding..

does the battery tender fix your problem? and also if you have any luck with a different battery let me know.

i just feel like i shouldnt have to buy a new battery for my brand new 6000 quad. yamaha should be fixing this problem.

·
Registered
519 Posts
This is a warrantee issue so tell your dealer you want a NEW battery not your old crap one . My dealer hesitated at first and I told him if he doesn't change it , that I was bringing back the $10 000 ( Canadian) quad and I wanted my $$ back or I was going to go right to his district manager . Needless to say , I got a new battery , and it did the same thing .... went back and they gave me another .... been working fine ever since

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I have the batter/charging problem too. I have had it since new. I bought a battery tender and it keeps the battery charged but when riding even with lights on the thing dies. I ride pretty hard so I'm at a lost. Called the dealer today and they are taking the machine tomarow to check it out. I better get satisfaction or they can shove it :wtf . I did not spend 7k on a quad to leave me sit :disgust . I will consider the kicker option and keep the battery but lose the electric starter. I would like to keep the cooling fan. Woods riding isnt always fast. Yeal well hope they find a fix. Later. Mike R. ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
ok, i got with my parts department and found the 03 Yamaha R6 battery was almost the exact same size. it is a 9 amp, a Yuasa YT9B-4. so i put this one it it today and it sat about a quarter inch taller. so, i just took some aluminum spacers about 3/16 thick to raise the clamp up a little and it bolted right up with some longer bolts. it doesnt interfere with the seat or anything, also i had to file out my ground cable hole a little because the bolts that come with this battery are a little bigger. other that those little changes it fit awesome. also i hooked up the battery tender to this as well. the motor turns over way easier and faster than before, taking less to turn it from the more amps takes less power or somethin like that. overall im very pleased!

·
Registered
865 Posts
the dealers where i live wont give me anything,not even a new stock battery. how much will this battery be if i have to buy it?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Mine sucks. It won't hold any type of charge. I was stuck 3 mile from nowhere in the woods. It was 20 degrees out and I hand to push the sumbich up an icey hill three times before I could get it to bump start. :angry

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
i have Yuasa batteries in stock for the YFZ. they retail for $103.95. i can hook you guys up for $85 each if you need one.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I want to know what the problem is too. I took my quad into the dealer today and they thought it was the battery. Called them after work and they were checking the charging system. Maybe they will find out if its the battery or something else. I will definetily pass any info on I find out. Quadless in PA. Mike R. 8|

·
Registered
61 Posts
Well I got my quad back today from the dealer. Battery not charging due to loose terminals. Not where the wires attack by the screw but the terminals themselves. Also the mechanic felt that the batter was not charged fully at the time of delivery. There fore even with my charger it was not getting fully charged. He also stated the importance of the initial set up of the maintence free battery. Meaning how the acid was filled and so forth. If the battery craps out on me know he said bring it back and they will get me new one no questions. All seems well now and good luck to anyone else who this problem afflicts. Mike R ;)

·
Registered
60 Posts
i just got my yfz today its my first quad since i was 8 and i was taking a little test drive around the house and it wouldnt even start so i called the dealer and they gave me another for free so now i have 2 batteries so i can charge them both before i leave to go riding

·
Registered
865 Posts
why cant the dealers where i live be so nice.. mi are complete d*cks..anyone know how i can get ahold of yamaha of america? its not right at all that my dealer sucks this bad..

·
Registered
3 Posts
britboy, are you sure you are pressing the right button on the bars. i heard you put diesel in your tank last week. :lol sweet sweet

·
Registered
76 Posts
Most of these problems stem to the men who assemble the machines at the shops. They prep them and set them to the floor without first putting the battery to a decent charger.
A new battery MUST be charged at least 4 hours.The moment you connect the terminals the battery it will never obtain a charge higher than where it was at that point.Lets say it will develop a memory per say.
Just go to Walmart or some where other than the blood sucking dealers (unless you have a decent one to deal with) and get a battery , put the juice to it for a good 4 hours before connecting it to the bike and this will greatly help in future issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts