YFZ Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
It looks like it would be the equivalent of the Yuasa battery. Things to look or ask for in buying a battery are about vibration resistance. Some of the battery manufacturers "bolt" the plates together, and some "weld" them. Bolted plates do not hold up real well IMO as vibration will cause a plate to crack or wallow out the bolt hole, then you have a dead plate and a weak battery.

In a nutshell, pay the added money for a higher quality battery. The initial price you pay will save you lots of headaches later and instead of buying 2 cheap batteries to make things work, you can pay up front and get the right one the first time.

Ex....I purchased a YTZ10 equivalent from Batteries Plus, it held up for 3 races then went south. I replaced it after DNF'ing a race, at their expense, and got another one. 2 races later, same thing. The plates were cracking, causing a dead cell, and a drop in voltage, causing a sputter similar to jetting issues. I then bought a more expensive Yuasa and have never looked back since.

I ride hard, and take care of my stuff. I am sure others have had better luck, but there are things I have learned not to cut corners with, and with YFZ's and their finicky electrical systems, I don't skimp in this area. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Great review Husker. I add the Yuasa YTZ10S battery when I first built my YFZ and that battery lasted 2 years before it when out, but I ride a lot. I'll do all weekend riding trips for training probably putting on 8-10 hours on my quad at a time. You combine that with the XC and MX races I do and I'm please with how long the battery help up. I also didn't pull my battery during the Wisconsin winter and put it on a battery tender like I should have. I just purchased a new battery, since my last one went and this one I pull and have sitting on a batter tender inside the house. So I'm hoping that this one will last a little longer than the last one.

Like Husker said spend the money on the Yuasa and avoid all the extra money and time of trying the cheap batteries first.

I got mine from [email protected] Specialties. Had it to me in 2-3 days. Either way great shipping time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
dont spend the extra money. go to wal mart and buy a battery thats the same width and height and in the back of your fenders is this square area that your manual came in. cut it out and your battery will fit.. 30 bucks i spent on mine.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i went to the deakler yeasterday and got a yuasa ytz10s, its got honda on it, does not say the cca but guess they are all the same, got a bargin, was 108, got it down to 66
sam

·
Registered
37 Posts
My 450 once I changed the piston always started a bit slow due to the increased compression so I put a R1 battery YUASA YTZ10S and it cranks right up now. Works great, starts as soon as I touch the button. It cost a little more but no more headaches.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i just cut my battery box out tonight, was a pain, the battery is a tight fit in there, there is no more material i can remove so i guess its ment to be like this,

i have a tip, my plastics are blue, were i had cut and sanded it down smooth it let white marks and scratchs, i used a blow torch and they went blue again and look good

sam

·
Registered
657 Posts
mine fits like a glove.. literally skin tight glove. but you can eventually remove it.. i suggest taking like a old tie down strap and putting it under the battery so when you need to remove it just pull the tie down up and it comes up...

·
Registered
95 Posts
QUOTE (Shee450 @ Feb 18 2009, 08:14 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=747841
My 450 once I changed the piston always started a bit slow due to the increased compression so I put a R1 battery YUASA YTZ10S and it cranks right up now. Works great, starts as soon as I touch the button. It cost a little more but no more headaches.[/b]
Does the R1 battery fit directly into the yfz battery box? no mods required?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
installed the battery today, the engine starts so much better now, the engine turns over about once and it fires, just went back from kicker only, from what i have so far im impressed, just hate all the wiring
sam

·
Registered
68 Posts
Battery ytz10 to fit

installed the battery today, the engine starts so much better now, the engine turns over about once and it fires, just went back from kicker only, from what i have so far im impressed, just hate all the wiring
sam

Did you have to cut ur try to get it to fit......? What's best tools to use to make it simple easy to get the ytz10 battery to fit

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
You do Know this is 3 years old dont you? But yes you do have to trim the back of the battery box, just the part that looks like it will hold a manual. If I was you look into earthx lithium batteries. It is a litium battery you dont have to have a special charger for and only weight 1.6lbs, the ytz is 11 I believe. plus it puts out more power than the ytz10

·
Registered
41 Posts
My battery is dead and curious to know if I should really buy the Hausa ytz10s. I found a couple on amazon but they are different sizes. Which one is which?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I tried the YTZ10s but it added a few pounds and after a season it started cranking slower so I upgraded to the ballistic 8 cell and love it.It holds 13+ volts and is saving me almost 10 pounds.I did have the frirst one I bought short out on me after 4 months,but within 2 days I had a replacement with no questions or extra cost.IMO a very good company to deal with when you call the president directly and talk with him and he handles it,.Not an incompetent douche that dont have a clue about powersports.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Check out earthx also, you dont have to have a special charger incase you leave your key on and run it dead. Ive had one for over a year and love it.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
The lithium batterys are badass. I bought one off ebay sometime last year. Its WAY lighter than stock, smaller, more reliable, and more powerful. I got my 8 cell for about $90 with quick connectors. I noticed even after sitting for a long time it still fires up like nothing. I haven't rode my bike in over 6 months and it still started better than the stock battery ever did.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts