YFZ Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iam having problems with the battery staying charged.my dealer says iam not the only one,they have put two batteries in under warranty.some say its just not big enough,ive been told to install a ktm battery,they are supposed to have more cranking power.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Do you have a kill switch connected that may be drawing power if not connected properly.

Geoff

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
I had this happen friday night. I was at the track, and it stalled on the face of a jump......needless to say I slammed on the brakes so I wouldn't under jump it, and it wouldn't start..........Don't know why. Seemed like the battery went low after trying to start it for the next 15minutes, and we had to jump start it for the rest of the night :disgust but it finally fired up and ran like there was no problems :what checked my connections, and they were all fine, went out saturday morning and hit the starter button, and it fired right up :re Don't know what the hell happened, but it's fine now.....

·
Registered
869 Posts
yeah I have been having this problem too I have a battery on the way that has I believe 70 cold cranking amps. I will let you guys know when I get it!

·
Registered
159 Posts
ive had some wierd problems with it too, one minute it wont crank over then the next its perfectly fine...kickstarter here i come

·
Registered
869 Posts
A guy from Interstate battery told me the stock battery doesn't have enough cold cranking amps. Call THE QUADSHOP. They have in stock the one you need for it!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i did trace the wires from the stator there is a plug in on the front of the bike that connects to the small box on the frame there.it looked like the factory put one of the wires into the plug in backwards,ther is a black rubber plug where the wire goes into the plug i turned the wire aroung and pushed it back into the plug .then pluged the connector back in it seems to be charging now.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
yea...mines weird.... the battery sounds dead alot. it doesnt like to be started in gear and doesnt like to have gas or the choke on...and when it sounds like it cranks, i give it gas, then it dies, and i have to let off of the starter button and press it again.

im thinking about buying a new one also

·
Premium Member
1,214 Posts
Originally posted by trx400ex@Aug 10 2003, 04:36 PM
ive had some wierd problems with it too, one minute it wont crank over then the next its perfectly fine...kickstarter here i come
What he said......I just tried to fire mine up today, and NADA..... :nono

·
Registered
10 Posts
:wtf I just installed a kickstarter and the bike runs fine when I push start it but it wont start with the kicker any suggestions

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by moby813@Jan 26 2004, 08:27 PM
:wtf I just installed a kickstarter and the bike runs fine when I push start it but it wont start with the kicker any suggestions
yea make sure you didnt unplug anything useful! :lol

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
mine will die sometimes but then i ride it and it charges up.....before u start it press the gas 3 times and hit the starter....mine starts perfect in extremely cold weather

·
Registered
137 Posts
When you guys say that you hit the starter and it won't start. so you have to let of and hit it again, what is going on is that it is on the comprestion stroke and when you let off it goes to decompretion which lest it turn over.

·
Registered
253 Posts
If you guys are trying to start in cold weather your oil is thicker than normal. I had problems yesterday...battery cranked o.k. 3 or 4 times- then would hardly move, neutral light went real dim. Then used space heater on engine 3 to 4 min. and cranked right over!!! Also aimed heater from front to back while catching part of oil rez. Am also warming motor fully choked for 1st 5 min. Works well. :rock

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
just run 10w 30. mine starts in a 2-4 cranks of the motor in 10 degree weather

·
Registered
134 Posts
Had the batt problem here last week.
Here's what I did.
1st -checked batt @ a reputable dealer a friend works at. He said the batt was TOASTED from not being properly charged @ the dealer I bought mine from. Also told me Yamaha is trying to make all dealers buy their NEW $400 & some dollar charging system to PROPERLY charge the batteries. If this new charging system from Yamaha is not used, you will have battery problems.
Since my battery was toasted, I took it back to dealer machine was purchased @ They had the nerve to do some test & say it was fine. Eventually they caved & gave me a new battery under warranty & told me this batt WAS fully charged. I then took it to my friends dealer & NO the batt did not have a full charge. They put it on the Yamaha charging system & force charged it to FULL capcaity.
This has only been a week, so I'm hoping batt. problems are over!

·
Registered
634 Posts
Originally posted by Merriman@Aug 10 2003, 08:31 PM
I had this happen friday night. I was at the track, and it stalled on the face of a jump......needless to say I slammed on the brakes so I wouldn't under jump it, and it wouldn't start..........Don't know why. Seemed like the battery went low after trying to start it for the next 15minutes, and we had to jump start it for the rest of the night :disgust but it finally fired up and ran like there was no problems :what checked my connections, and they were all fine, went out saturday morning and hit the starter button, and it fired right up :re Don't know what the hell happened, but it's fine now.....
I will say electricl connection.

Better check all the electrical connections and especially the battery main bolts.

sound like you need a kick start, it starts faster with this anyway.
and you loose 10 pounds

·
Registered
253 Posts
I concur...check to see if all your elec. conn.'s are clean & tight. Then you can throw a meter on it and see your charging voltage and rate. However...keep in mind to check it at different RPM's. You won't see alot @ idle...you'll want to look at different rev's...similar to what your normal riding RPMs' are.

and always remember..." Be careful " :lol :lol :lol

·
Registered
220 Posts
you're not alone... it happened to my wife 100 yards into a 30 mile race..

she was pissed to say the least, and we lost $50 in entry fees...

thanks Fun Bike Center for not charging the battery! i'm calling to complain right now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts