YFZ Central banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery won't stay charged on my 05. I installed a new Ricks motorsports 140 watt stator about a year ago. So I don't think it has anything to do with the stator or rectifier/regulator. It could be, but what else would prevent the battery from not charging? I just bought a new battery over the weekend and charged it before I installed it so it's also not a bad battery.

Another odd thing that happens is when I put a fully charged battery on, it will start, after I ride a little bit, stop and try to start it up again it won't start. But if I let my quad sit for a little bit and cool down it will start right up. But eventually the battery will lose enough juice and my yfz won't start at all.

So pretty much I'm wondering what else would cause my battery to drain if it's not the stator, rectifier/regulator or a bad battery.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Don't know if its any help but the decompression unit on my exhaust cam was sticking on my 05 causing it to act much like a dead battery simply just because at times the battery didn't have enough ass to crank the piston up without decompressing

·
Registered
104 Posts
Check the voltage across the battery at idle and when you hold the gas on and see what voltage readings you are getting. Also, when you say "cool down" is it actually hot? I used to work at a Batteries Plus and good batteries will self recover. Why did you add the Ricks motorsports 140 watt stator?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I added the stator because I have a 6 inch Rigid industries lightbar, a Safeglo led whip, and I run my stock lights too. I've checked the wiring for the lights to make sure there are no cuts in the wires. At first I thought it was the lights I put on but I know for a fact its not the lights. I know this because when I installed the new battery it was daytime and I went riding without the lights on and the battery died after about an hour or two of riding.

I will double check the voltage at idle and around 5,000 rpm to see if the stator is even working. When I installed the new stator I was getting the right readings and I was also when I checked it a few months back.

I guess when I say cool down I mean I just let my quad sit for a little bit before I try to start it up again. I dont think the battery it self gets hot.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I figured it was for the lights by looking at your quad. Definetly check the charge the battery and see what the reading is then check while running.

·
dippy doodle
2,801 Posts
You running with the stock headlights on? If you don't it won't charge the battery unless you got the resistor that they started to put on the 06 and ups.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Maybe a wire or wires are getting too hot and overloading the circuit somewhere, causing the wires to lose connectivity until they have cooled down. I would re-check your wiring. Good luck, keep us updated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
same prob with my 05. i went thru 3 brand new batteries thinkin maybe they were defective. after the 3rd i gave up and said screw it its deff not the battery. i been figurein its the stator, was about to buy a ricky stator but after readin this i dont know now. have u figured it out yet?

·
Registered
78 Posts
i heard of some people having problems with battery dying, and they figured out the battery doesnt charge after a certain rpm unless the lights are on. may be your problem too... just a thought

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have an 05 w similar issue...so why do u need to run them w the lights on? Im confused

·
Registered
90 Posts
You running with the stock headlights on? If you don't it won't charge the battery unless you got the resistor that they started to put on the 06 and ups.
^this is eactly what I was thinking.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Resistor Kit - Project WideOpen: Off-Road.com

I had the same issue when I got my YFZ.

When i went over the bike - I had never heard of the resistor kit and it was disconnected off my quad. So I took it off and had about 6 months of issues starting it up.

Found the above link - dug the kit out, re-installed and re-wired it - never had an issue since. Also found fitting the Larger Honda CBR 600 (Below) gives you more Cold Crank Amps (CCA) and never looked backed!

http://www.yfzcentral.com/forum/32-yfz-powertrain/93247-battery.html

Since the start of December my quad has been sat in a workshop, sometimes below freezing and not being started. After I rebuilt it, within about 2 cranks its up and running.......

·
Registered
180 Posts
Either run with them on low - or remove and fit a resistor kit...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Not too sure on that one.

My race prepped quad - ie lights removed - battery discharging issue was solved with the resistor kit being re-fitted back onto the quad.

I take it you read the project wide open link? Shows you where it goes, on the 06's onwards it changed to a ceramic resistor covered in metal with fins on. See if its fitted to your bike. If not then that is what I would suggest you get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You could have other problems like a rectifier is bad. A bad rectifier would mean the power your Stator produces is not getting sent to the battery. I've also seen fuses that go to the charging system fail too and that be the reason why an ATV battery won't charge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts