YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!!! This will be my first post on this site... it was given to me by a friend... I have been a honda owner for the last two years... so when I bought he YFZ450 it made my first yamaha.. I have had it about a month

I love the quad. I think the handling and speed on it is great but I am having trbl with the battery. It does not want to stay charged. I have been making sure key is off etc stupid stuff. There are no headlights, they were removed for mx racing. I have already bought a new battery for it in less than a month and it does not want to stay charged.

IS anyone else having this problem??

Oh yeah and HELLO everyone.. chickie rider from Texas here! I will be racing the new 450 in the main series in my area next month for mx. Trying to find a lil feedback on this and do some mods hopefully before season starts :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have the same problem.. the longest I've had my charged was when I kept it on a slow charge for about an hour. If you don't slow charge it fully when you charge it, the battery will not hold the charge... I called my dealer also and they said they would most likely just re charge it if I took it over there but I might as well just charge it myself... I was thinking about the getting the kicker for it but I haven't heard anyone satisfied with it yet...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Welcome to the site! You have made an excellent choice with the YFZ. The battery problems are common and your dealer should take care of it. Also watch for a coolant leak at the water pump. I personally did not have a battery problem, but my water pump did leak and had to be repaired twice. No other problems with mine and I flog it mercilessly. Again, welcome to the site. It's good to have some ladies in the sport. :D

Tom.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... yeah so far that has been my only complaint... did your deal say why the batteries are not staying charged?? sucks to have to keep recharging etc....

make sure you guys check all the bolts after a few rides too... I had a few that were loose and then ended up losing like 2 from where held on plastic

thanks for the welcomes...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
GREAT CHOICE and Welcome to the site :rock So far, I haven't had any problems with our YFZ. I do keep the battery on a Trickle Charger when stored though. Sometimes up to a month before it goes out again. (Ok, before I get Blasted... We got other hobbies too... :lol )

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Bansheebob@Feb 25 2004, 08:58 AM
GREAT CHOICE and Welcome to the site :rock So far, I haven't had any problems with our YFZ. I do keep the battery on a Trickle Charger when stored though. Sometimes up to a month before it goes out again. (Ok, before I get Blasted... We got other hobbies too... :lol )
well mine is not really sitting alot at all.... winter series started in November and there has been alot of riding since then. I take it out at least one practice during the week and then usually at race or track on the weekends... so I am not leaving sitting for long periods of time .... :what

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I had a battery problem in one of our SeaDoos. A brand new battery, and it wouldn't keep a charge over a 48 hour period. They mass produce batteries, like Crack Heads mass produce Babies :uhoh . Send it back to the dealer for a check-up on the charging system, and battery replacement. :lol

·
Registered
69 Posts
On early production models of the yfz there was a problem with the battery system. It overcharged the smallish battery, which leads to the engine running poorly, not restarting, and even melting fenders. To alleviate the problem you could run with the lights on, but you removed yours.
By the way, are you racing STQRA?
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Welcome to the site!

Ok, well first of all each new member is required to post pics of themselves. And if you don't have somewhere to upload them to and post them here, email them to me and I will post them. :lol

Ok, so now that that is out of the way, putting a trickle charger on the bike will help the problem, but another thing to note is that when the batteries are installed into the quads, and/or put on the shelf they are only aout 70% charged, so if you go right into using it it will always only be able to receive a 70% charge.

When you get a new battery, and I would suggest calling [email protected] Magnolia 877-243-3337 he will get the battery for like $20-30 bucks less, put it on a charger and fully charge it, then install it and ride the crap out of the bike.

Or get a kicker.

BTW where are you from in Texas? I too am from Texas, Lufkin to be exact.

Scott

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by Quads4life84@Feb 25 2004, 09:39 AM

By the way, are you racing STQRA?
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info... I may call the dealership and see what they say. I went ahead and bought a new battery and have had it a week and so far so good.

Yes I will be at some of the STQRA races but I run the main series TQRA in the North since that is where I live. But I do plan on hitting a few of the south series races. I will be running the Ladies class only this year since it is my first season.

Do you race that series?I am assuming you are from texas if you know that STQRA

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Pahrump@Feb 25 2004, 09:56 AM
Welcome to the site!

Ok, well first of all each new member is required to post pics of themselves. And if you don't have somewhere to upload them to and post them here, email them to me and I will post them. :lol

When you get a new battery, and I would suggest calling [email protected] Magnolia 877-243-3337 he will get the battery for like $20-30 bucks less, put it on a charger and fully charge it, then install it and ride the crap out of the bike.

Or get a kicker.

BTW where are you from in Texas? I too am from Texas, Lufkin to be exact.

Scott
Well I wish I had known that I could have gotten a battery cheaper somewhere else. I already bought it and I think it was like $101.00 after taxes :(

hmmm a pic... I did not see the rule about all new members posting a pic but I should be able to do that.. if not I will email it to you LOL ;)

Yes I am from Texas. I know where Lufkin is at. I am in the Dallas area. I am probably about 3 1/2 hours from there. Do you race any?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welcome to the site and congrats on your taste in quads!

Best to ensure the batts fully charged before using, otherwise it will develope a bad "memory". If you treat it like it's fully charged when it isn't, then it will always "think" 70% is 100%.

Another thing..........Judging by a few of the previous posts, it sounds like some would like to know but may be too shy to ask...So I will..................

.......What color did you get!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had that problem, and so did one of my freinds that has one. from what we were to when you don't run the lights on the quad it is actually overcharging the battery. i started running my lights all the time now and the battery does not go dead now. you don't want to overcharge batteries either, it will also make them go dead faster than normal.

so in your case it would be good to get the kickstarter since you race...

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by fly'in YFZ@Feb 25 2004, 12:35 PM
Welcome to the site and congrats on your taste in quads!

......What color did you get!!!! :D :D :D
I got the white one ;)

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by motogurl@Feb 25 2004, 11:30 AM

Well I wish I had known that I could have gotten a battery cheaper somewhere else. I already bought it and I think it was like $101.00 after taxes :(

hmmm a pic... I did not see the rule about all new members posting a pic but I should be able to do that.. if not I will email it to you LOL ;)

Yes I am from Texas. I know where Lufkin is at. I am in the Dallas area. I am probably about 3 1/2 hours from there. Do you race any?
First parts: for anything Yamaha always call Bob first he has the BEST deals.

Ok well I will let you slide on not seeing the posting pic rule, but if you can't get it posted send it to me and I will. :D

And I no longer live in Texas I live in Nevada and as of now no I do not MX but I do drag race up vry steep sand hills :lol

I did race MX at Swaan's MX park in Tyler, been there?
And I ran in the PJ1 SuperAreana cross series throught Dallas/FtWorth, and the Houston Area. Rode a CR 125 with a little backing from ProCircuit, but that was 8-10 years ago.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Pahrump@Feb 25 2004, 01:49 PM

Ok well I will let you slide on not seeing the posting pic rule, but if you can't get it posted send it to me and I will. :D

Yeah I havebeen out to that track once.. I am sure I will some this year with the series...

I will see what I can do about posting a pic later tonight ;)

G

·
HEY WELCOME!!!! :D

I heard the CBR900 streetbike battery works great.

Im yet to have any problems on my YFZ! :rock :rock :rock

I have about 100 hours and got the jetting RIGHT ON I think.

medium brown plugs AHHHHHH

no header glow!

PEAK PERFORMANCE!!!

YEEE-HAWWW :rock

:yfz

RAY

·
Registered
122 Posts
it is normal they just wanted a light battery thats y its so small

·
Registered