YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
yesterday i went to start my quad and the battery was dying. i heard this is common but i really don't want to go buy the same battery and have this happened again. also i don't want to charge it and have it happened again within a few hours. what should i do? i heard some people buy motorcycle batteries with 7 amps. which bikes are these ? let me here ur thoughts on this? thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
I read somewhere that a regular battery charger will not charge the battery all the way. I am thinking it will only be like 70% charged or something like that. If you go to your local yamaha dealer they could hook you up w/ the right charger for pretty cheap. Also I was reading thatthe quad will not charge the battery very well unless it is ran hard. Like in race conditions. So all of you trail riders this could be a problem for you.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Originally posted by wurrCRAZY@Feb 2 2004, 08:01 AM
So all of you trail riders this could be a problem for you.
talk about disappointment..

i race MX and Grand Prix (so cal version of GNCC) and i FINALLY convinced my WIFE to start racing..

we have been doing a ton of riding and i usually ride full speed then wait for her to catch up... she is more of a "trail rider" but she gets agressive..

so, we are on the starting line.. the expert class goes off (with me in it of course) and then the intermediates and finally my wifes class...

live engine start with your clutch hand on your helmet so you have to have it in neutral... she stalled it... bummer

then the bike took about 20 seconds to start... dying battery.

about 100 yards into the track they had a F*'d up whoop section that was causing problems even for the Expert riders..

needless to say my wife stalled the bike, along with about 1/3 of the beginner class..

but guess what happened then..

NOTHING!

the battery was dead and no one there helped her push start it.

they just move her bike off the track and she sat there.. UPSET that the NEW bike wasn't running.

after my first lap, and after battling to overtake the guy infront of me, i saw my wife and pulled off the track, and sure enough.. the battery was dead... dead, dead, dead.

i got a flagger to help push her, but nothing would do it (flat ground on dirt) so i had no choice but to leave her and go on with my race.

it was a 30 mile race, we paid $50 for my wife to race, and she went 100 yards... a dead battery ruined her day.

best part, she is willing to try racing again, and said "next year, i will finish that race"

i love my wife... but hate the battery in her quad!!

now, i have to buy a charger or a new battery huh?...lame!

on the other hand, my bike ran like a top!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MAN THAT SUCKS!!! I'M JUST GLAD MINE DIED BEFORE RACING. WELL I'M GLAD TO HEAR YOUR WIFE IS NOT GIVING UP.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hey...

I have NEVER had a problem with mine, but I run the lights all the time. I have heard that the battery form the HOnda 929RR will work and is about two thirds more amps than hte stocker. YOu have to cut the toolkit section out of the plastic, but it would solve the problem.

DAMN YFZ BATTERY!!

Maxx

·
Registered
61 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I went to sears and bought a trickle charger. No problems since. I pop it on after I come home. It will also maintain charge in the battery and not overcharge. Fully automatic. Its around 36 dollars I think. Hope it helps. Mike R.

·
Registered
741 Posts
yea this happened to my friend randy in a race.....his first moto the quad stalled out because the battery died :re how much does that suck?
Mike

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
my battery has died but after i push start it and let it run then the battery cahrges up fine. i ride trails all of the time and will screw around on the track with clutch123 occasionally. the trickle charger will help.

·
Registered
68 Posts
i would just take all that crap off,battery,elec. start everything,it kicks over easy,mine starts first kick, didnt u put a kick on???

·
Registered
126 Posts
mikeymotorcycle,

Do you mind posting the exact name and model of said charger? I think I'm going to go down to the local Sears.

Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i have a kicker and that saved me but if i'm racing in woods i need the fan working. i did but a charger and its charging right now. hope it helps. thanks for the info guys

1 - 11 of 11 Posts