YFZ Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I finally got my kicker installed the other day. I am up in Canada and it is really freakin cold and the battery wont cut it-Only reason I went to kick. My problem is I can not kick this thing over, I thought our KTM 450 was bad but this is ridiculous. I do not have a decompression lever on it but will be installing one soon I guess. I am just wondering if anyone else finds it difficult. I have kicked both 04 yz450F and the WR and they are no where near this stiff. Even my husband has a hard time kicking it.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I kicked Selector's bike over and it wasnt bad at all. It should be the exact same as the YZ450F (03 and newer)

Are you sure the it is setup right????

I dont think you can install a decomp lever on the exhaust cam since it is already built into the cam :what

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think you can install a decomp lever on the exhaust cam since it is already built into the cam 
Bob at magnolia hooked one up to his.

As far as the install, it was pretty strait forward. Even though there were no instructions it was pretty much a piece of cake after the tranny on the raptor. I dunno what gives, but its pretty much useless to me.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
are you sure he didnt install a hot start lever???

the reason why Im asking is I used to have a 98 YZ400F dirtbike and it had the old school exhaust cam with the bar mounted compression release. the compression release was only used to get the piston passed TDC of the compression stroke and then released before kicking.

that is how Yamaha did their WR/YZ dirtbikes from 98-02 ... then in 03 they introduced the auto decompression on the exhaust cam. thus eliminating the need for the compression release on the bars

98-02 WR and YZ dirtbike guys are actually installing 03 cams and tossing their compression releases

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
One thing Selector did tell me was that it really likes to be in Neutral to get it to start .... other than that you can check your decomp mechanism on the exhaust cam and make sure it is working correctly

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
schwendi, you are right there is no "decompression" lever that can be installed it is built in on the cam.

·
Registered
126 Posts
You must do the cam mod in order the have the proper kick compression ratio to make for easy starting. After you do this it should kick over with no problem, or there is something wrong.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I am gonna check and see if the decompression spring is broken, I cant see anything else that could cause this. When you do the cam do you use the YZ or WR? I was pretty sure it was the YZ but the dealer is telling me the WR so now Im looking to see what the guys that installed the cam used. I remember some saying it was harder to start with the stock one modded than the other. What I want to know is if it makes it start easier than the stock at the stock setting. I do not want to be digging a bigger hole in the sand here. Its bad enough I got 2 starting systems and neither one will work for me. I really appreciate all that can and are helping me on here! :yfz

I too figured it had an auto decompression as it did in the raptor but after talking to bob a bit more from what I gather it is something to fing TDC but whatever. It is definately not the hot start he is talking about and Im still not 100% on what it is.

You'll have to mind me, I have been having problems with some other parts not arriving on time and it has just stressed me out so my mind is not how it should be

·
Registered
126 Posts
What I have heard is it starts better with the stock YFZ cam retarted as opposed to the YZ cam. IM sure their are many opinions on that.

What I have done is Retard the stock cam to the YZ spec and installed the kick starter(with starter back up) and both work perfect for me.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did the Cam mod tonight,starts like a charm, Thanks YFZN!

For the decomp lever/cable the KTM's have both auto decomp & decomp lever so I dont see why it wouldn't work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts