YFZ Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the Pros and Cons of these two cylinders? I havent heard much about the ice cubes.. maybe thats a good thing. any info you guys have is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
217 Posts
Thats a good topic, I do not know much about the Athena, and Max Power went down for a while to reconfigure, good lets find out however, I think you will get a lot of OPINIONS not answers. No two anything is ever completely alike. I would have to say that Max Power has been in that area for a LOT longer that I know of trying to develop it and solve the cylinder issues though.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya im looking for more opinions based off personal use of these two products. i know the athena is .030 shorter the OEM. i wanna know more about the ice cube is it shorter, taller, stronger, weaker does it blow alot of gaskets etc..

·
Registered
217 Posts
QUOTE (Blackedyfz450 @ Feb 10 2009, 08:11 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744565
ya im looking for more opinions based off personal use of these two products. i know the athena is .030 shorter the OEM. i wanna know more about the ice cube is it shorter, taller, stronger, weaker does it blow alot of gaskets etc..[/b]
All I know is they were good, designed for BIG BORES period! Then they disappeared from the scene for a few years and now they are back, all I know is anyone who has a built motor will have slightly less life in it than a stock one, REGARDLESS of who built it and what kit it had. They are ALL good, boring the cylinders to a 98 has a small tendency to bring a few more cracks then say a stock motor. If someone builds up their motor, they have to build up their care and maintenance of the machine, running proper fuel and everything, I think thats why people end up with fouled out big bores later on. I personally know my friend had an ice cube before and cracked the cylinder, he also told me it was fine to put regular fuel in it too! More motor, more maintenance to make it run properly, if you can afford the motor work you should be able to afford the fuel and everything else that goes with it, I have to and will.

·
Registered
46 Posts
well i thought id throw my 2 cents into this one. i had to buy a big bore aswell...had....wanted same difference. i was really aiming for a ICE CUBE 488 kit. then i talked to my local dealer who also sells them and they have had alot of head gasket issues. and issues in general with them. i was told athena is a cheap fix...............so i went and bought the NMOTION 480 kit. happy with mine so far no issure bolt on and go.

ice cube big bores (no proof just what the dealership told me.)
athena ( no idea, just seemed to cheap in price.......)
Nmotion ( happy with a decent price.)

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
Everything that has been said is/ was true of all the cylinders mentioned. Now that MP is back maybe they have alittle better control on their sleeve installs into their Ice Cubes. So what has been deemed true in the past may be alot different now and maybe their cylinders are great now.

Nmotion and Athena = 98mm Ice Cube = 99mm.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
do you know what they changed in their cylinders? maybe max-power will join in on the convo and give some opinions and answers.

Athena- about 600ish ebay
Ice cube to Central member for the next month- 900

how much is the cylinder works new jug and how much is the nmotion jug?

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
QUOTE (Blackedyfz450 @ Feb 10 2009, 10:25 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744614
do you know what they changed in their cylinders? maybe max-power will join in on the convo and give some opinions and answers.

Athena- about 600ish ebay
Ice cube to Central member for the next month- 900

how much is the cylinder works new jug and how much is the nmotion jug?[/b]

I do not know if anything change with MP on their Ice Cubes. I guess I really like their design and size and stuff, but un happy with the fact they blow head gaskets cuz the sleeve drops.

Stay away from the CW cylinders. IMO, not worth it as they have all cracked when using their +3 stroker crank, and also with high comp pistons. Maybe with a stock piston it may hold... that I am un sure of. CW has said they have a problem with the YFZ cylinders.

Nmotion jugs are I think $750 for just the jug. Best IMO, but pricey.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Didnt CW redesign their jug? over on tech i thought i read something about them doing that

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
QUOTE (Blackedyfz450 @ Feb 10 2009, 10:29 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=744619
Didnt CW redesign their jug? over on tech i thought i read something about them doing that[/b]

They are redesigning them for the YFZ but I have not seen any new cylinders come out yet, and CW has not (that I know of) released a "newer" "updated" cylinder.

·
Premium Member
12,069 Posts
Well atleast that's some good news. I wish CW would post up what exactly was changed... or a builder/ vendor that has a old CW jug and a new CW jug and post up the differences.

$200 is pretty cheap, and if it lasts it would be well worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts