YFZ Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put in a athena bigbore web cams last year and i could never get it to run rite, i messed with the carb when i dug it out 4 the first times in a couple months and the thing run damn good as a comparison my buddy has the same stock 06450 that i did all the same things to as mine when i was running the stock bore and the quads were almost identical except i would win by 1-2lenghs cuz iam 20lbs lighter didnt matter what quad i was on, after i put the bb in he would kill me by 5-6 lenghts but when i changed my carb jetting and need clip postion i killed him by 5-6 lenghs. So i had the great idea to mess with it to get more power out of it, it ran worse so i put it back to the way it was and he still beats me by 3-4 lengths

my quad pops alot if i hold the throttle halfway misses sounds like a v8 with a fouled plug ect after i messed with the carb for the second time. my lights dim if i rev it up is that rite i thought they should be getting brighter i think i have some electrical problems because it cuts out bad,

i have been kinda bummbed that i have bought this bigbore, my stock bore would walk away from all my buddys 450s, but since it ran really good that one day i know the power is there i just gotta find why it went away

This was my setup the day that it ran good what i changed from lastyear was i put 2shims under the needs and dropped down from a 182main to a 178

480athena bigbore
178main
unknown needle bottom clip 2plastic shims under it
50p
stock shorty pipe

i dissconected the tps and it still had the same problem

·
Registered
837 Posts
first off never run athena piston they are the biggest piece of sh!t ever made. that your problem right there.very few have sucess running that piston. its not your jetting.. maybe a little but not 5-6 bike lenghts worth. if you want the big bore to run like it should your gonna have to open the intake stuff. port the head bigger carb good intake. cant just go big in one area and expect it to run good. JMO

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
understandable but when it has run good once and changes a ton there something wrong going on now i know there is power there i just got to find it

QUOTE (Blackedyfz450 @ Feb 24 2009, 10:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750383
first off never run athena piston they are the biggest piece of sh!t ever made. that your problem right there.very few have sucess running that piston. its not your jetting.. maybe a little but not 5-6 bike lenghts worth. if you want the big bore to run like it should your gonna have to open the intake stuff. port the head bigger carb good intake. cant just go big in one area and expect it to run good. JMO[/b]

·
Registered
432 Posts
Pull out the needle and change it to a ncvq needle and then set it to the 3rd clip and get rid of those shims and then go play with it. Make one change at a time and then go ride, come back make another and go ride, try to always have the quad warmed up and roughly the same temps outside so that way your comparisons are relatively equal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts