YFZ Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I would like to Berry Eads for taking his time keeping me company while building the engine. It was an awesome learning experience being around someone who has been doing this for over 20 years.

the combination of the wr cranks and athena big bore kit increased my displacement from 439ccs to 478cc's.

The kit is pump gas friendly and I put around 14 hours (probably more then less) on it memorial day weekend. I would've got more hours on it, but it rain cats and dogs a couple days before and a lot of the main trails/hills where under water.

I can now launch in third gear where as before second was the only gear I could launch in.
Power is absolutely amazing I couldn't believe the power gain I received out of this kit. It hits really hard bottom to mid it feels awesome. I am proud to let someone ride my bike now just to see their reaction.

I think its money well spent

My current mods
LRD Ballastic series
FCI intake
Athena 3mm big bore kit 12:5 to 1
Wr Crank 1mm over 04/05yfz crank

I was not expecting this much of a gain I was already having second thoughts about tearing it apart while we was tearing it apart!

let me know if you guys have any questions

·
Super Moderator
12,069 Posts
Congrats man :clap:

Yeah I got a question... When you getting around to the FI?? :neener:

·
Registered
248 Posts
KB, welcome to grin city: I launch in 3rd on the MX track, this thing smokes em dead to the first turn.

My 480, big valve head, FCI intake, JD jetting, hotcams, vortex. I really want to run my -6TT but still having electrical ptoblems there... with the TT on it is turbine smooth and an even harder rush of power.

Currently running 15-36 and going to go 16-36, the acceleration is best discribed as "brutal" ....................... very snesitive to jetting lean = significant power loss, JET UP is the way to go !

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by kiwi-craig@Jun 1 2006, 01:12 AM
KB, welcome to grin city:  I launch in 3rd on the MX track, this thing smokes em dead to the first turn.

My 480, big valve head, FCI intake, JD jetting, hotcams, vortex.  I really want to run my -6TT but still having electrical ptoblems there...  with the TT on it is turbine smooth and an even harder rush of power.

Currently running 15-36 and going to go 16-36, the acceleration is best discribed as "brutal"  ....................... very snesitive to jetting lean = significant power loss, JET UP is the way to go !
[snapback]433629[/snapback]​
:mhihi:

The fuel injection is installed. Would not idle worth a crap though; however, giving it really quick shots of fuel made me extremly happy. never did fall its face!
anyhow back on topic my computer had the tuning program on it:( and I forgot where I downloaded from :( and now my computer is taking a vacation at best buy.
Also the kit that i bought came with a computer but it wouldn't work either!!! Now i'm trying to talk my friend in letting me use his 2500.00 labtop so I can tune my dirty bike after I figure out where the tuning software is located. He might give me the go ahead because i'm using it right now, but I dont think he would like the idea of me taking it to the garage!

Hopfully it will be done by this weekend. I wont be able to ride Friday or Saturday due to a wedding, so sunday after church I should be able to get a couple hours of ride time with fuel injection.

·
Registered
715 Posts
sounds like a great setup...if you dont mind me asking how much did that cost you for everything???

·
Registered
5,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Includes piston, cylinder, gaskets, crank, and rod.
You basically get a brand spanking new engine.

I can not tell anyone which part made the most power because i installed the athena and the wr kit together. I just know together it makes some serious arm pulling power. I thought I was going to have high hopes for this engine, but everything i was expecting turned out to be a whole lot more. This thing completly surprised me I dont know what else to say. For the amount of money I have invested in my engine (1000.00) it screams

I dont have any high price cams in my bike either. I am running stock cams with the exhaust cam retarded one tooth.

·
Registered
248 Posts
We did the WR first and I was really pleased with the increased torque and faster throttle response, adding the 480 is a whole new dimension in terms of GRUNT. As KB said it's an awesome package. I'm going to get more head work done to get it breathing even harder on top for our forest hillclimb sprint series coming up, the extra torque is easily going to put it on par with the big 727 - 770 raptors for hill climbing plus it still has the YFZ rev ability.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off I would like to Berry Eads for taking his time keeping me company while building the engine. It was an awesome learning experience being around someone who has been doing this for over 20 years.

the combination of the wr cranks and athena big bore kit increased my displacement from 439ccs to 478cc's.

The kit is pump gas friendly and I put around 14 hours (probably more then less) on it memorial day weekend. I would've got more hours on it, but it rain cats and dogs a couple days before and a lot of the main trails/hills where under water.

I can now launch in third gear where as before second was the only gear I could launch in.
Power is absolutely amazing I couldn't believe the power gain I received out of this kit. It hits really hard bottom to mid it feels awesome. I am proud to let someone ride my bike now just to see their reaction.

I think its money well spent

My current mods
LRD Ballastic series
FCI intake
Athena 3mm big bore kit 12:5 to 1
Wr Crank 1mm over 04/05yfz crank

I was not expecting this much of a gain I was already having second thoughts about tearing it apart while we was tearing it apart!

let me know if you guys have any questions
Hey bud how u doing im wanting to do this exact same thing wr crank big bore what big bore u order with the wr crank cuz the yfz big bore the piston won't wore or at least that what I've been reading like do I gotta order a big bore for a 05 wr 450 f please let me know parts # would be awesome if u got time

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Ken doesn't frequent the forums much anymore but if you reach out to him on Facebook he can probably sell you the parts you need.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts