YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to get an ASV clutch for my bike, but I'm not sure which one. I haven't "cleaned up" the bars, and I read somewhere that you have to have some of the clutch wires spliced together to work with some ASV levers. Which clutch model will work with stock?

http://www.asvinventions.com/levers_order/...3_quad_atv.html

I want that one, but it only shows one cable coming out of the clutch, and I think stock has two cables? It's an '04.

·
Premium Member
3,989 Posts
I don't think there an aftermarket clutch perch out there that is made to accept the Neutral Safety Switch.

It's really not all that bad bypassing that wire/switch. You just learn to pull your clutch in when you crank your quad over.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
i pull my clutch in every time i start it, i made it a habit. No matter what gear its in, 1, 2 neutral-every time i start it.

and if you did push the starter in gear wouldnt it be just like a bike when you kick it over in gear? just jump forward?

·
Registered
432 Posts
You have 4 options

1) you just replace the lever and you use your stock perch
http://asvinventions.com/levers_order/C5_S...ff_road_c5.html

2) You replace it with one of their perches that has the hot start switch
http://www.asvinventions.com/levers_order/...5_quad_atv.html

3) You replace it with a perch/lever that doesn't have a hot start and you plug the two bullet connectors together so it thinks the clutch is always pulled in
http://www.asvinventions.com/levers_order/...1_quad_atv.html

4) I have read that ASV makes a perch that will accept the stock hot start switch and you pull it from the stock and put it in the ASV, but I can't seem to find it on the ASV website, so I would call them.

Also I pulled nothing but the C/5 series, you might also look at the F/3 series too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I just put the C5's on my 08. Just spliced the wires together.. The starter will turn if you have the clutch in or out so yes it will jump forward in gear....

I had to file some of the factory switch assembly to get good clearance when the clutch is pulled in. You also have to adjust the cable on the inline adjuster that's located by the cylinder. There will be a lot of slack in the cable with the new lever.

Very nice levers, I would recommend them....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I want to buy the C5 for sure. Where would I have splice the wires together? I looked at the tutorial, and it wasn't very clear to me. Also, how hard is it to adjust the slack? I appreciate all the help.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was in a hurry when I did the splice. I cut the switch off and soldered the two wires together. Tapped them and zip tied them to the bars.... I'm going to resplice it under the plastic somewhere when I get a chance.

The adjustment part is by the cylinder on the exhaust side of the motor. Just need a couple of 8mm (If I remember right) box wrenches. Loosen the jam nut and unscrew the adjustment. Tighten the jam nut and take the remaining amount of slack out with the adjustment on the perch.

I think I turned the perch adjustment out two turns before I took the slack out of the cable.. That will leave you a little more adjustment if needed to put some slack back in it..

It takes a little more time than you would think to just swap out a lever and perch. Leave yourself enough time to get it done right..

The brake takes about 5 mins.....

·
Registered
238 Posts
asv dose make a model where you can leave everything stock and not cut any wires.. i made a post on this and some guy posted the model of witch lever it was but i cant seem to find the post anymore sorry... but i ended up with just cuting the wire and conecting them together and takeing off my parking brake much more room on the bars just seems like the right thing to do.. you really dont need teh parking break anyways so its not that hard to do, let us know if you have any problems

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have already removed the parking brake and cable. I will let you guys know how things go when I purchase the clutch and try to install it. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
^that was me.

if you want to keep the stock perch/stock everything, yes, the safety switch too, look here: http://yfz450.theatvchannel.com/invision/i...showtopic=93081

but yours is on 04'. mine is an 06' - some you guys need to stop being so lazy and just call ASV. i know sometimes its hard to get a hold of them but your spending over $200. don't you want the right stuff? take it from me who bought the wrong levers twice. first time i bought them from a predominately dirt bike accessories store, didn't know really anything about how ASV described the bikes they fit on their packaging. bought the "Yamaha" versions. sent back to ASV. bought the general Yamaha quad ones and the brake lever was wrong. it wasn't YFZ specific. returned those. finally talked to tech support there. got what i wanted and didn't lose one stock item on my bars.

you guys are chopping and splicing wires when you don't have too. but then again. some of you guys like the empty bar look.

anyway. there is a way to do it. let me know if you want me to walk you through it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Those are just the levers.. If you replace the perch than you have to remove the switch.

I agree with you on calling ASV. They are very helpful and will help you get exactly what you are looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts