YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably already discussed, but I am looking for high performance cams for my new R. I took it to sand mountain this last weekend and I kept getting smoked while dragging. I spoke with a few people and they say the stock cams are strictly for mid range power (track riding). Do the old cams fit on the new R? Anyone know if Hot cams will be coming out with high performcane cams soon? Thanks.

·
Registered
436 Posts
There was a topic on this on another forum - the one guy was going to stick the old YFZ cams in the R and dyno it. Don't know if he ever got to it. I know that the lobes on the intake cam are really mellow compared to the YFZ cam. Now I'm not sure what the GYTR cams look like, but I've heard that their head gives a nice power boost. You would think a cam with a more agressive lobe would increase the "hit" that is deliverd in power. The question is - can the YFZR intake cam be swapped out with the YFZ cam to increase power? Not sure - this is for the guys that want to experiment with their motors.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
cant you swap out parts from the YZ450F bike to the YFZR motor?

ive heard the heads are practically identicle, wouldnt the cams be the same for swapping? or do they have the same lobes?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I would think you would be able to swap over cams from a YZ450F. However I do not know if there is a difference in lobes. It would be neat to compare all 3 together. I'm not up for experimenting with my motor though. I'll let some one else be the guini pig! :icon_cool:

·
Registered
533 Posts
DO IT!!!! I put a stock intake cam from a standard yfz in and I think it made a huge difference. The bike just revs so much faster and the power definitely comes on stronger. I don't think I lost anything anywhere either which is what happened in the standard yfz with aftermarket cams. You give up some here to gain some there. It does have more of a "hit" which some people may not like. Personally, I like my motors to hit pretty hard. Just the way I ride and the way I like it. I spoke with hotcams and they told me they are not going to be producing any new cams for the R. They say their cams that they already have for the yfz provide a good gain in the R. I am most likely going to be picking up a stage 3 because I borrowed the stock yfz cam.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Did you have to change your fuel map when you installed the cam?

·
Registered
533 Posts
QUOTE (2000camaro_ss @ Feb 15 2009, 05:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=746828
Did you have to change your fuel map when you installed the cam?[/b]
I didn't but I think it could use a little bit of tuning. It is not as "perfect" as it was with the stock cam. It is not bad at all though. It is still way better than it ran stock without the controller. It is so slight in fact, that I think I will be able to correct it with just using the buttons on my pcIII.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts