YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As it was brought to my attention, my initial post was a bit too critical.

So i will rephrase,

I have Custom AXIS on my 88R, and with what i consider very little ride time, 20 hrs or so, the rear shock lost all oil for compression, so it bounces like a pogo stick. i still have nitrogen pressure in my rezzy, and rebound still is responsive.

Any ideas, or input on this matter would be appreciated, seeing how shocks are not my speciality.

·
Registered
453 Posts
i know absoultly nothing about aftermarket shocks i just wanted to say that sux to pay that much and have the da*n things blow out. i was gunna go for a set but u changed my mind ......i think ill go for pep........sorry to hear that man

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do not think you are being very fair about this situation.
You said that the quad has sat for awhile, there are also other things that could have contribited to the seal failure.
Have you ever cleaned the shaft with any kind of contact cleaner, or degreaser? These things are death to seals. If the shaft is cleaned of all the oils, and then sits for a period of time, it can peel the seal apart, and then a leak forms.
There are many other factors that could have cause'd this to happen. So before you start bashing a great product, find out what happened first.
Send me your shock, don't worry about the cost. I'll take care of it, you just pay the shipping.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by rse@Feb 16 2004, 08:18 PM
I do not think you are being very fair about this situation.
You said that the quad has sat for awhile, there are also other things that could have contribited to the seal failure.
  Have you ever cleaned the shaft with any kind of contact cleaner, or degreaser? These things are death to seals. If the shaft is cleaned of all the oils, and then sits for a period of time, it can peel the seal apart, and then a leak forms.
  There are many other factors that could have cause'd this to happen. So before you start bashing a great product, find out what happened first.
    Send me your shock, don't worry about the cost. I'll take care of it, you just pay the shipping.
thanks for the offer,,,,,,,but i dont know you from the lady down the street,,,,,,,im not feeling comfortable sending you my $800 shock. it will go to Custom AXIS INC for the rebuild :D

Second of all the reason for my post was, and is,, for getting info......which was supplied to my satisfaction,,,,,,i just wanted a second opnion.

Maybe some of my frustration came out in typing......dont read too much into it. Im fully prepared to have all 3 shocks serviced and pay to do so. This just caught me completely unawares thats all, no big deal :lol

Yes the quad set,,,,,,,like you can see it in the pic i posted above....I never used anything like you mentioned above to clean the shaft ,,,just the usuall water when cleaning the quad like thousands of others do....

..i just never knew this could happen thats all...engine seals,,,yes,,,,,,,,shock seals.....who knew????...plain and simple ;)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I cant see the pics.

If you let you bike sit for long periods spray it with WD-40. I do it after every time I wash it. (especially the shocks)

·
Registered
8 Posts
CBW,
Thanks, but just to let you know, I am not a little old lady down the street.
But, I have won a lot of championships in all forms of motorsport. I am an Axis dealer that is willing to back up the product.
The offer still stands on the replacement. If it makes you more comfortable, you can call Axis and ask them if I am capable of doing this task.
You did not just ask for advice, you started to bash the product, and the people at Custom Axis. If they lose one sale over it, then that would be pretty bad, right? We just need to remember that words do count, and people listen to them.
Why does anything break? We just don't know sometimes. In Motorsports, when things break, you get pissed, but before making a rash judgment we take the time to find the reason why it happened. I will tell you this, and this goes for any brand of damper. It probably won't, but it might happen again.
Like I said, the offer is stil there. PM or phone me.

Just a note. Do you wash your quad with a hose, or a pressure washer?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by rse@Feb 17 2004, 03:09 AM
CBW,
    Thanks, but just to let you know, I am not a little old lady down the street.
    But, I have won a lot of championships in all forms of motorsport. I am an Axis dealer that is willing to back up the product.
    The offer still stands on the replacement. If it makes you more comfortable, you can call Axis and ask them if I am capable of doing this task.
    You did not just ask for advice, you started to bash the product, and the people at Custom Axis. If they lose one sale over it, then that would be pretty bad, right? We just need to remember that words do count, and people listen to them.
    Why does anything break? We just don't know sometimes. In Motorsports, when things break, you get pissed, but before making a rash judgment we take the time to find the reason why it happened. I will tell you this, and this goes for any brand of damper. It probably won't, but it might happen again.
    Like I said, the offer is stil there. PM or phone me.

Just a note. Do you wash your quad with a hose, or a pressure washer?
rse,

Sorry if i offended you,,,,of course you are not a little old lady,,,,my point was i dont know you, and i didnt see your info in your sig. After rereading my initial post,,,, i did seem to bash,,,what can i say ....OOPS :O It truly wasnt meant to come out like that.
Dont we all get on a rant now and then,,and yes even a little pissed or frustrated? And there is always someone there to take it personally or read more into it than was really meant to be,,you, luckily, called me on it,,where some go unnoticed,,,,,,thanks ;) .
In the case of the product,,,,Custom AXIS shocks......they really are great, you are correct on that point. BUT,,,,when someone cant take 5 minutes to discuss something ,,,,,,well it makes you feel a little aggrivated wouldnt you think??? I run a service company and get calls like that every day,,,,,,"Why did this or that breaK",,,,,,i fully understand the "Sometines it just does" senerio and an explanation sometimes isnt readily avaliable. But i also feel obligated to provice customer service and answer the calls,,,,,or if im busy i get back to them, and alteast take some time and discuss it. Its that simple.
You asked about pressure washing. Do you think i would actually hit my machines with a 3500psi stream of water?? Of course not,,,,, It ruins seals and water gets into places where its not supposed to be. I have interchangeable nozzles so the water gets fanned out and i stand back about 3' so they get "misted" with the spray no worse than if i did it with a hose. I dont ride in the mud so there is no reason to use such high pressure. I am fully aware that a pressure washer can penetrate seals if not used sparingly or correctly, you cant get me on that one :nono
So I suppose we can just say that the seals just went, for what ever reason, and leave it at that.

Well, since you offered to repair them, PM me your Name, Ph# and address to send the shocks to, if its different than your sig. The rear obviously needs serviced, and i would like the fronts inspected. But not at no charge, that was never my intent, i fully expect to pay for repairs.

For anyone else who thinks i was a bit harsh, youre probably right, my appologies, the way myfrustration came out in my post wasnt very professional.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I sent all three shocks off to you today RSE,,,,,,,thanks and let me know what goes on. 8) If it will take more than a couple of weeks let me know cause i believe i do have a buyer for the bike these are for. Somebody who can get some use outta the R ;)

Thanks again,
CW

·
Registered
8 Posts
No problem, I will have them done, and turned around in 48 hrs.
Thanks for the call, it was good talking to you.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by rse@Feb 17 2004, 04:24 PM
No problem, I will have them done, and turned around in 48 hrs.
Thanks for the call, it was good talking to you.
Thank you,,,,

for taking time to actually discuss the problem at hand, thats good customer service. Great talking with you also,,,,,I will be calling on you again soon this summer. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts