YFZ Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just finished doing my valves and i took off the crankcase breather hose to "unload" the cam chain tentioner spring and when i went to go put it on there was a substance that looks like spit coming out of the breather hose. I then took the cover off of where the hose goes in and it is a creamy type oil.

I then checked the dipstick to make sure it wasnt my oil and my oil is perfectly fine. Is this a problem i should be worried about? My dad dont seem to be too worried about it but i dont feel like rebuilding my quad just yet. Is this bad???!!!
What causes this? I'm thinkin its a bit of snow the breather hose sucked up but it has never happened before.

Another question: once i was done my valves (175 pad) the farthest valve (from cam chain side) is still tight. the middle valve is perfect and the closest valve is a lil tight as well. What can i do about this?? I have 2 170 pads from when i did my exhaust side, can i use this for those valves? or can i not use used pads?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I wouldnt be worried, just wipe it out i guess, change your oil to be safe. and all the valve shims ARE interchangeable, so if u need 170s on your intake that you have from the exhaust, then go ahead and put em in.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
i wsih i could help you! but i though i remember seeing something like this a cople weeks ago!

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea i remember that, but it was the timing plug im pretty sure

Anybody wit answers????

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
The milky fluid is 100% normal, everyones quad does it. It is simply evaporate from your oil. It is not a sign of any issues.

You can use the shims from the exhaust side on the intake side if they are the correct size to get your valves within spec.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
QUOTE (Joester @ Feb 18 2009, 06:00 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748128
I wouldnt be worried, just wipe it out i guess, change your oil to be safe. and all the valve shims ARE interchangeable, so if u need 170s on your intake that you have from the exhaust, then go ahead and put em in.[/b]
Your sig pic is wayyyyyyy to big. you need to resize it smaller (like 1/8 the size you have) before a mod deletes it all together for you.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Oregon450Duner @ Feb 18 2009, 07:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748151
The milky fluid is 100% normal, everyones quad does it. It is simply evaporate from your oil. It is not a sign of any issues.

You can use the shims from the exhaust side on the intake side if they are the correct size to get your valves within spec.[/b]
okayy good...

should a 170 shim be a good replacement for a 175 when it measures a .003"? (loose fitting tho)

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
QUOTE (Oregon450Duner @ Feb 18 2009, 07:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748155
check the chart in the manual, sorry I dont have that memorized.[/b]
the chart dont make much sense... it told me to out a 155 in the exhuast when theres a 165 or 160 on there right now and there perfectly in spec

·
Registered
17 Posts
The number of the pad is a measurement in millimeters. If you have a 170, it is .170mm thick. Keep in mind that .005mm almost perfectly converts back to standard measurement of .002." If you notice that all the tolerences for adjusting your valves (the tolerence, not the clearance) is .002" that might help. With that said, if you are at the bottom of your clearance, (say.0039") changing to the next size down pad should put you at the very top of your clearance. (.0059") Make sense?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (2manymiles @ Feb 18 2009, 07:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=748166
The number of the pad is a measurement in millimeters. If you have a 170, it is .170mm thick. Keep in mind that .005mm almost perfectly converts back to standard measurement of .002." If you notice that all the tolerences for adjusting your valves (the tolerence, not the clearance) is .002" that might help. With that said, if you are at the bottom of your clearance, (say.0039") changing to the next size down pad should put you at the very top of your clearance. (.0059") Make sense?[/b]
in some wierd way yes lol

but i thought they may get worn out when there in there

·
Registered
655 Posts
Your valves are what get worn out in there. Being an 07 YFZ and depending on how much you ride it you may need to put new valves in it in 2-3 years.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was thinking at work and I made a typo on my post in here. Surprised nobody called me out. A 170 pad is 1.70mm NOT .170mm. This leads to my next point; you need to be careful when converting from standard to metric measurements. And yes, your valves and your valve seats wear over time. This is why your valves "tighten up." Pads should not wear out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts