YFZ Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive got my bike geared to run 18 inch rears right now and a few dune trips coming up soon

I wonder how well the YFZ will climb with 15/38 gearing and 20 inch 8 paddle std haulers :what last time I was at sand mountain I could pull all the hills in at least 3rd except for the wall (2nd gear) with stock 14/38 gearing

·
Registered
376 Posts
Geeze schwendi, lose some weight. J/K :lol I weigh 210. I also had this same question about gearing.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I am 215lbs, naked and run a 15T.

·
Registered
6 Posts
200 and I just changed to a 15. I couldn't keep the frontend down and know it runs great. I do a little better at hillshoots as well because I pull better in third. Go with the 15 and you'll be very happy.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just weighed myself this morning ... 225lbs without riding gear. Those damn 100lb kids that can ride have a big advantage :angry

·
Registered
834 Posts
Can you say "Atkins Diet"? :lol

·
Registered
773 Posts
Rode w/ stock knobbies on yesterday and 15/41 gearing. I'm ~205 w/ gear and I made it up one of the chutes @ Sand Mountain w/o much of an affair.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
selector, I told you that the 15T with the stock rear would do good. That is what I think you should run at Dumont. Thats what I am gonna run.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Dec 19 2003, 07:56 PM
selector, I told you that the 15T with the stock rear would do good. That is what I think you should run at Dumont. Thats what I am gonna run.
I'll have all sorts of stuff to try out down there - I'm in no hurry now.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well ... im gonna leave my 15T on then, unless I take it off at SM tomorrow.

15/41 gearing is damn near identical to stock 14/38.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Welcome to the big boyz klub! I'm about 230lbs before riding gear. Just tried 3 diff gearing combos in Glamis yesterday, based off of daddogs suggestions, and the combo that worked by far the best was a 15t counter sprocket with the stock rear sprocket. power transfer is much better, the front end isn't always coming up - but I could still wheelie at will when I wanted to, and you can even use 1st gear to launch in now. I'm also guessing i picked up about 3-4 mph top end with the change as well. The 15t counter with the stock rear gear is a very good combo for the dunes!!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
That's what I told you boys. I have been running the 15T front for 2 months now

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
OK boys, I have everyone beat at 315 lbs :lol of course I am also 6’6”. I just came back from riding my YFZ and was wondering the same, should I try the 15T? By the way, this was my first time riding it hard after breaking it in and man is this thing frightening fast (I owned a Z400 up to now). You can see the mods I have done below but I must admit I may be running a bit fat, the front end doesn’t come up all that much but once it hits mid to top end, hold on to your hats.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BigbadYFZ - your username is perfect!! your jetting sounds a little rich

Update: Rode 2 days @ Sand Mountain, NV with the 15 tooth and I loved it!! Duners should definitelty give the 15T a try

1 - 16 of 16 Posts