YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve seen a few on here using the Antigravity YTZ7-8 battery, but given the physical size difference compared to the stock YFZ450R battery (albeit minimal) I have a few questions:

Does the existing location for the battery need to be modified to house the slightly larger battery?

If so, what/how have others customized to incorporate?

If no customization is required and it “just fits” is there room for quick disconnects? Avoiding the parasitic drain from the vortex.

How have others incorporated these quick disconnects? Any tips or suggestions?

Any pics or info would be welcomed

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I can’t speak for that particular model but I have the atz-7 which has a restart feature which basically means when the battery sits for a while and it senses a drain it puts it into like a sleep mode which is good for the vortex draw. So I can go to quad after like 3 weeks turn the key on and I have no juice. Then just push the button and the dash lights up and you fire it right up. I did originally order the ytz7-8 with the Yamaha part number but this is what Yamaha sent to my dealer. As for the size they gave little spacers that pop in the bottom to make it fit like oem. You really won’t believe how light they are it’s kind of crazy. My quad stays in a some what heated garage and has always started with this battery in the cold. I believe it was maybe $115.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate it man, if I can find it for $115...thats pretty tough to turn down. The sleep/restart function is a pretty good idea. I sometimes go a month+ without starting it and sometimes longer without riding it given my work/family schedule so that may have just convinced me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
920 Posts
I’ve heard if you update your Vortex software there will be no draw. My quad has been sitting for a few weeks now and I will be able to go start it with no issues here.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’ve heard if you update your Vortex software there will be no draw. My quad has been sitting for a few weeks now and I will be able to go start it with no issues here.
Any idea what version of the vortex software this was resolved with or when that was released? This was news to me but I absolutely welcome it

·
Registered
920 Posts
That I do not know but I bought mine maybe a year or year and a half ago and it has had no issues. If you call Duncan Racing I'm sure they can tell you which version.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That I do not know but I bought mine maybe a year or year and a half ago and it has had no issues. If you call Duncan Racing I'm sure they can tell you which version.
Thanks man, I’ll get ahold of Duncan and see what info they can/will give. I’ll update the thread once I get some feedback

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Ok so it’s been about 3 months since I started it and I went to do it Friday and it sounded weak. So I ordered a lithium trickle charger off amazon for $60

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is the one you want. Same case as lead acid battery. Doesn’t have the stupid restart button. Fits like a glove. Has more cranking amps than the restart battery!
IMG_1475.jpg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Update after discussing “Vortex” battery drain with Duncan Racing (closing the loop):

I meant to post this a while back, my bad...I have been slacking as of late. Either way here is what I got from Duncan Racing today when I called them asking about battery drain while having a vortex on a 450R:

*All below was in the context of 09-current years (my current is a 2019)

In short, there is no software update to the Vortex that resolves this. The gentleman I spoke too literally said anyone stating otherwise was “on crack” haha now I appreciate the bluntness, I got the point.

What Duncan Racing did state was that the parasitic drain is not due to the Vortex technically, that it actually is due to the Yamaha harness and the existence of a full time “hot pin that does absolutely nothing when the bike is shut off” that causes the drain. He stated (and I can confirm on my own bike pre-vortex install) that even stock yfz450R’s do this however isn’t as noticeable because the juice required to start a stock ECU vs. the Vortex ECU is so much less. You just notice the drain more/sooner with the Vortex. I asked if he knew the location of this “hot pin that does nothing” but he stated it is not in their interest to hunt it down, there advice was unplug the battery when not riding or ride/start the bike more frequently. Fair enough I’m not going to question him, that was more information than I had prior and does make quite a bit of sense.

Full-time Hot Pin = drain
Vortex required cranking amps > stock required cranking amps

He also mentioned that Duncan Racing has spoken to “Richard with Vortex” and he confirmed what Duncan Racing found and is communicating.

What I gather from all of this is this: This does help explain why many have gone to the 240 cranking amps vs. the stock cranking amps Lithium battery and claim “it helps with the drain”. It isn’t actually helping it just has so much more juice than stock so it masks the drain so much more...plus holds a charge better being lithium.

Basically the solution is trickle charger or disconnect the battery if not being ridden is the universal answer as of now.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Finally picked up the 240 Cranking Antigravity battery, got bored while being on lockdown so I decided to do some shopping.
IMG_7895.jpg

Still need to pick up that trickle charger though

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
How long have you gone with that battery fully charged to no ride time and then fire up no problem?

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Finally picked up the 240 Cranking Antigravity battery, got bored while being on lockdown so I decided to do some shopping. View attachment 93389

Still need to pick up that trickle charger though
Is this battery a tight fit or fitz no problem? Ever since getting the vortex if i dont run it every week it drains the OEM FAST. GONNA HAVE TO upgrade batt soon or come up with a disconnect.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
920 Posts
It fits well if you use the supplied foam spacers. I’ve gone 4-6 weeks without starting and no issues. Also, last week accidentally left the key on for about 20 hours and it still started right up.

Reactions: yfzgambler

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It fits well if you use the supplied foam spacers. I’ve gone 4-6 weeks without starting and no issues. Also, last week accidentally left the key on for about 20 hours and it still started right up.
My experience is very similar, ~8 weeks without a start or a trickle charger and still fired right up. Fits perfect, bonus is it’s quite a bit lighter than stock too being a Li Ion. Anything longer than that and I’d suggest disconnecting, definitely don’t want to drain one of these

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
When I took my oem battery out I slid a metal putty knife to free up the battery from the foam. It was almost stuck in the box

1 - 20 of 21 Posts