YFZ Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please explain the difference in these? I know that is you run alky you have to change the jets alot or go up like double the size, but I havent heard a lot about ethanol thought. I saw in one post mixing ethanol with pump gas in any percent, but does this do any better than say VP112 mixed with gas?? Do you have to change the jets? Does is burn the rings a lot or ?

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ethanol, like E85 is a clean high octane subsitute for gas. Not sure where to get it but it's all over the internet. The problem with alky is that it eats everything up. You can't just use it and forget it, You have to flush your bike with gas after you use it. From the tank to the motor. Unless your motor NEEDS the higher octane don't use it. It costs much more than gas and you don't get a performance improvement from just using it. Only if cirtain mods like increased timing or more compression will you then need to run full or mixed gas with a rating of higher than 93. Also, with Alky. You need 2 times as much as you would gas to make the same power. Jetting, lines, pindle, and even the tank size may or have to be increased. This fuel type basically runs cooler than gas. Drag cars run it for "consistency" not added performance. Some cars don't even run much of a cooling system, so alcohol is called upon. I hope this sheds some light for you. Stick with reg gas unless you have mods to merit a need for the higher octane. Properly jetted, a gas motor and alky motor are very close. And before everyone says that in this mag or this guy says that alky made 5 or something % more power, The baseline with gas was not maxxed.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Here follow this link:

http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/index.p...888&hl=methanol

I started here and learned alot, and learned even more from testing and tuning myself.

First of all do not even think of doing this if you are not totatly dedicated it is very indepth.

And if you are not running a high comp piston you won't see the full gains either.

Then after all that you really need a programmable ignition like the DynaTek I am testing to advance the timing some to really get the performance out of the methanol.

Methanol is only like $2 a gallon but you will use about 1.75 times as much as gas.

Read the link and ask any questions you like, I love talking about real tech stuff like this.

Scott

1 - 4 of 4 Posts