YFZ Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of aftermarket swingarms are out for the yfz? i have heard ppl over at bluetraxx talking about twisting and breakin stock swingarms. I race ALOT of mx and i just thought id look into it as a precautionary measure :) any help will be appreciated. :rock :yfz

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by slosh13@Dec 1 2003, 09:39 AM
what kind of aftermarket swingarms are out for the yfz? i have heard ppl over at bluetraxx talking about twisting and breakin stock swingarms. I race ALOT of mx and i just thought id look into it as a precautionary measure :) any help will be appreciated. :rock :yfz
RPM. Three year warranty. Who else is backing their products with a three year warranty? That must tell you something about their durability.

http://www.terryracing.com/stockimages/rpm%20swinger

.brit

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah i broke my stock swingarm. Yamaha is covering it under warenty though and they have a stiffer stronger stock one out from the factory now and thats what getting put on mine as we speak. It lasted 5 months of hard MX abuse. But if i were going to buy a aftermarket one it would be a laeger

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by Mx yfz 450@Dec 9 2003, 10:45 PM
Yeah i broke my stock swingarm. Yamaha is covering it under warenty though and they have a stiffer stronger stock one out from the factory now and thats what getting put on mine as we speak. It lasted 5 months of hard MX abuse. But if i were going to buy a aftermarket one it would be a laeger
Does the Laeger come with a warranty?

.brit

·
Registered
441 Posts
Originally posted by Brit Mansell+Dec 10 2003, 04:02 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Brit Mansell @ Dec 10 2003, 04:02 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Mx yfz 450@Dec 9 2003, 10:45 PM
Does the Laeger come with a warranty?

.brit [/b][/quote]
can u use a 400ex carrier and axle with the rpm swingarm?

what else would i need? ex hubs...brake hub and sprocket and rotor?

·
Registered
773 Posts
From what I understand the Tuckers come w/ absolutely everything needed including brake lines, longer chain (if needed) etc. etc. AND a 5-year warrantee. Get one, take it home, install and ride w/o needing anything extra - awesome.

I know there's a ton of Raptors w/ them.

May need to investigate further.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Originally posted by Mx yfz 450@Dec 9 2003, 11:45 PM
Yeah i broke my stock swingarm. Yamaha is covering it under warenty though and they have a stiffer stronger stock one out from the factory
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the swing arm break/crack cause the materials its made out of dont FLEX, they just crack??? and with that theory wouldn't stiffer be WORSE?? :what

·
Registered
240 Posts
I should have my walsh swinger next week. Nate asked if i was in a rush for it and i can get it sooner i said nahh. I'm in no rush. I had a walsh swing arm on my 400ex and that thing was very strong looking, so i am assuming this will be the same. Mike also usually runs the CR500 linkage on his bikes, and the yfz is similiar to that. Its more straight up and down like the CR500 linkage. Rather than angled back like a no link set up.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
depending on your budget, you might want to look into houser long travel swingarms. +1.25 travel over other aftermarket swing arms. pretty impressive. roll design is great as well. the same goes for walsh.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Originally posted by Tainted Glory@Dec 11 2003, 04:32 PM
depending on your budget, you might want to look into houser long travel swingarms. +1.25 travel over other aftermarket swing arms. pretty impressive. roll design is great as well. the same goes for walsh.
The limiting factor in travel is the shock, and even the stock shock is pretty close to allowing the swingarm to hit the airbox.

Custom Axis has added about 1 inch of travel with their rear shock and it's REAL close to hitting stuff, but well worth the low clearance.

.brit

·
Registered
98 Posts
Arent the Tucker the super small tubing, and only made for drag racing?? I dont drag, i like to leave the ground a bit. ANd if the pics that i have seen are the only ones Tucker makes, i would never put on on my quad. If i knew how to post a picture on this site, i have an unfinished new Lonestar swinger right beside me. They seem to be good quality. The only bad thing is, it seems to be pretty heavy, but thats cause of the new thicker material they use. But racing XC im not too woried about a few extra pounds if i can get a few extra races out of it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey guys, I thought I would jump in here and try to help answer any questions and clear a few things up.

AZblaster44, you are correct. A swingarm should have some level of flex to them. Preferably the whole swingarm should be designed to absorb that flex when the arm is under extreme impact. When you try and stiffen a swingarm up by adding cross plates and gussets, you will find that the swingarm will most likely show stress cracks or complete failure right where those pieces start/end. That also leads me into the next topic, Round Chromoly Tubing.

Extremeracer167, I have no idea where you got that information about the Tucker Pro Arms. The Tucker Pro Arms are not the super small tubing swingarms that are only made for drag racing. The Pro Arms are made from 1½" 4130 chromoly tubing (.120 wall). These arms are tough and very durable. We have found that these arms are able to flex and absorb extreme impacts without causing any damage to the arms. There are 2 reasons for this. First, the arms are made of round chromoly tubing which has the ability to flex in all directions evenly, yet keep its form. Square tubing is more rigid and therefor not able to flex as much. Second, because there are no plates or gussets to stiffen the arm. During extensive R&D on these arms we have found that when using plates or gussets, there would be signs of stress cracks where the plates or gussets start/end. This is understandable because there is always stress risers where welds start and stop. The less welds, the better.

Now another reason why these arms are so strong, is because all welding points are chamfered and then MIG welded. Now I don't want to get into a welding argument here, I am just stating what we have found works the best for us and what lasts the longest. We found that although TIG welds are nice and clean and small, the MIG welds penetrate much better because you get more surface penetration when you chamfer the material first. The materials are also pre-heated before welding to help strengthen the welds.

Now, Tucker also makes an Extreme Pro Arm for the serious racer that is made with a .156 wall chromoly tubing. Although this arm does not have the degree of flex as the .120 wall, it still has more give than an arm that is stiffened with plates/gussets. These Extreme Pro Arms are virtually indestructable (under normal-extreme riding condition). Both arms are being used in all types of professional/semi-professional/non-professional racing including MX, TT and Desert Racing. We get nothing but praise from these racers. In fact they call occasionally and lets us know how things are going and when they win races. A perfect example of how durable and strong these arms are, go check out Project Raptor at offroad.com. In fact, Dean Waters (the owner and builder of Project Raptor) won the Vegas to Reno 500 this year in his class with the Pro Arm. That is 500 mile race. And if you know anything about desert racing, it is BRUTAL on the bikes and especially the suspensions. Now, do you think a super small tubing drag racing swingarm could make it through that type of abuse?

Well I could go on and on but, I will wrap it up.

Extremeracer167, I hope that I have given you a little more confidence in the Tucker Pro Arms. Never say Never. ;)

We are just trying to educate people. I tell everyone who asks about our arms to go do the research and then call us back and I will set them up. I do this because I am absolutely confident that they will not find a swingarm/swingarm kit of this quality at this price level. I also tell them to go to all the forums and search for Tucker Swingarms. That should tell the story right there. The other thing you need to keep in mind here, these arms have a 5 year warranty. If anything goes wrong during that time, you will be taken care of, no questions asked. Not only does Tucker Suspension stand behind their arms, but so do we. Tucker has always said that they want people to let them know of any problems. That way they can find the weaknesses and improve their products. What other company offers a warranty like this and offers this level of service? Lonestar? lol

We are sending the Admin of this forum an arm next week. There should be a review of the Pro Arm on this site, the first part of January. We are confident that will be a great review.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded note. Just trying to help.

Happy Holidays everyone! :rock

Thanks,
Shawn
Pro Sport ATV

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm going with all Viper products on my YFZ. (made by Legacy ATV) I will have pictures of it within a week or so. I'll post them in the pic forum for you guys.
To me, the Viper swingarm looks like one of the best. John has huge gussets in certain areas where his competitors swingarms have little to no gussets. I don't see anyone breaking Viper swingarms anytime soon.

·
Registered
304 Posts
from what i seen of the lsr swingarm, it looks to be a very high quality unit. also its pretty nice that it uses the honda style carrier, but your stock yfz axle, nut, etc will work with it. pretty nifty...i will buy one eventually.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts