YFZ Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you have any tips for loosening the drive sprocket nut? I'm using a socket wrench with the 27mm socket, I've bent the tab back on the lock washer and even though I have the quad in gear when I try to loosen the nut it wants to turn the entire sprocket and rotate the back wheels forward. I am afraid to press hard, I don't want to break anything in the transmission but it doesn't appear the nut wants to come free... even if I could put enough pressure without turning the sprocket.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I got it figured out... actually got a tip from Selector at Bluetraxx. I sat on the quad pushed the rear brake with my right foot and pushed down on the socket wrench with the left and it broke right free. Thanks Selector, wish he hadn't got himself banned here :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Put it in gear and set the E brake. Put the socket on it and go at it. If it does'nt want to come loose bump the ratchet with your hand to break it loose.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I thought of that in the very beginning and it would have worked if I had a parking brake ;) That was my first mod LOL. Thanks for the idea though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Put it against a wall and have someone sit on it so the tires won't spin.

·
Registered
155 Posts
So you are supposed to do this with the chain still on?

Crap I already took it off :(

So much for the shop manual .... there is nothing in th shop manual about how to actually remove the sprocket, believe it or not.

Are these left-hand threads? can I use an impact driver on it if the chain is off?

·
Banned
1,501 Posts
yea there normal, just hold the brake and use a impact wrench does the job real nice!

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
QUOTE (Dogmeat @ Jun 30 2009, 02:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=791294
So you are supposed to do this with the chain still on?

Crap I already took it off :(

So much for the shop manual .... there is nothing in th shop manual about how to actually remove the sprocket, believe it or not.

Are these left-hand threads? can I use an impact driver on it if the chain is off?[/b]
Old topic...really old!

·
Registered
155 Posts
eh, the impact too it off just fine.

i dont know, I figure I'll try this combination and see how it works

I have a feeling even for the type of riding I do I geared it way too low ..

ah well I'll try it and see ...

I went 13/39 ....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts