YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I race cross country and my '14 YFZ450R is constantly wanting to stand up on mostly hill climbs. I weigh 235 w/o gear and 245 w/gear. Can the suspension be adjusted to minimize that happening? If so, how? A pro rider recommended the suspension adjustment so any help is appreciated. Kinda getting tired of my bike being on top of me lol.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You will probably need to lower your ride height. You can do this by adjusting the preload on your shocks.

This will give a stiffer ride (if that's even possible) and you will have less ground clearance, but should help with your issue. The lower ride height will also help it corner better.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You will probably need to lower your ride height. You can do this by adjusting the preload on your shocks.

This will give a stiffer ride (if that's even possible) and you will have less ground clearance, but should help with your issue. The lower ride height will also help it corner better.

if you lower the ride height (remove preload) the ride will be more plush and you will have more chances to bottom out.

If you try to lower the quad by stiffening your springs you don't understand suspension.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well do you have enyway to help out with this issue is there something I can change or just adjust to help keep the front from coming up all the time on hill climbs the hills are rough sometimes to eny help would be great

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yes if you remove pre-load loosen the springs they will be more soft and give you a smoother ride, and lean forward. Sometimes the only way to control the front end is with your thumb...

·
Registered
265 Posts
Try adjusting your riding style slightly. Before you start the climb your weight should already be as far forward on the seat as possible. The stock seat is terrible for trying to hold this position as it gets slick as ice if it gets wet. But the easiest way to make it up a hill is to have as much momentum as possible before you enter the climb. trying to accelerate up the hill is when you get into trouble. You should try to have enough speed already built up so all you have to do is maintain the speed you have, and if you did have to get off the gas for a second your momentum will help carry you to the top. Good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.