YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a pair of 55w mini fog lights that id like to add to the quad while keeping the stock headlights. When im not racing im going to be taking trips with a few buddies to go riding at some offroad parks and we're deffinitely going to be night riding. the stock headlights are bright but id like to add these mini 55w fog lights to give me the option of putting more light where i want it. The thing is Im not sure if the stock stator can handle another set of 55w lights. I deffinitely wouldnt replace the stockers with these so if I cant use them ithat'll be fine. I test ran em for a few seconds (just tapped into the stock wiring for the headlights) and the stock headlights dimmed a lot to power these so thats when i got worried. When i revved it they all got brighter but im sure there is a hell of a draw with those hooked up. Just let me know whether i should continue onward or call it quits now.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
im not too much of an electrical guy, but i would get a high output stator to be safe... if the stock headlights dim then whats the point?

·
Registered
283 Posts
everything I havr read says no way. The stock stator is maxed with the stock lights. 150w stator and HIDs is the way to go. Or replace your stock bulbls with the superwhite PIAA, Tusk, or Ricky Stator bulbs

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah its not worth it to burn up a stator for a second set of headlights. I really dont want to buy HID's and a high output stator right now. Just wanted to hear some opinions.

·
Banned
1,160 Posts
The stock stator can't even keep up with the stock lights. If you rev it up you will notice the lights are dimmer at full throttle then at half throttle.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The best thing i've ever done to my 450 was buy the DC conversion from Trailtech and replace the stock lights with HIDs. They are bright as hell! Conversion kit was $125 and the HIDs were $90.

·
Registered
147 Posts
QUOTE (jeepman380 @ Mar 2 2009, 09:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753214
The best thing i've ever done to my 450 was buy the DC conversion from Trailtech and replace the stock lights with HIDs. They are bright as hell! Conversion kit was $125 and the HIDs were $90.[/b]
x2
my bike already came with the stator when i bought it but just got HIDs and they are hell of a lot brighter :shocker: . i got the kit for $80 shipped with the slim ballast :icon_cool:

·
Registered
103 Posts
QUOTE (ohsobad_chevy @ Mar 3 2009, 04:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=753448
More info please.[/b]
Check out Trailtech's website. If you do decide to get HIDs make sure you get the slim ballast ones cause they are sealed and work better for offroad use. Also, the bulb style you want is H6M. The HID kit in the link isn't the exact one that got but all the kits are pretty much the same.

DC Conversion

H6M HID Slim Kit

1 - 9 of 9 Posts