YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whew...

Right at the brink..... thats where I was just about an hour and a half ago. I am about two thirds of the way done with my cam mod, all is going smoothly when it was time to cut the zip tie off of the chain and put the tensioner back in. Now mind you I took daddog's advice and used common sense and stuffed a rag down around the cam gears as I should have. the only thing is that there was one corner that wasn't covered and the tie was on the other cam so I was thinking no chance that can fall down there, right? WRONG!! I clipped it and it flew right up in the air and went down beside the gear and fell into the engine. DOUBLE DRAT!! So needless to say I am fumin and ready to curse tryin to get this thing out of the motor. So the wife is over on the other end of the basement doin laundry and she walks over and is like" need some help" I am like yeah right. Anyway shes like no really let me try. So she takes my self fashoined wire hook and fishes around for like 30 seconds and gets it out, whew...

So now I am thinking man am I glad that is over. so I go to put the tensioner back on. I put it in the hole, and here comes my 7 year old son to watch me. He promptly puts his knee on the tire and rocks forward moving the quad which is in gear and slipping the chain around the exhaust cam for about five teeth, DRAT DRAT DOUBLE DRAT!!! So I immediately spring into action and assume fetal position and start to cry. Well, not really but I felt like it. so I go back, take the journals off, realign the marks, put the chain back on get it all back together with no further incidents on the timing chain.

So now I decide to take the float bowl off to make sure that I don't lose the spring, washer, and grommet when I put in my handy dandy new Zip ty fuel screw. One screw, two screws, three screws, when I get to the fourth, low and behold the freakin dealership had stripped it out and not bothered to replace it. GRRRRRRRR!!! So I put the other three back in and take the fuel screw out and shake the parts out, no problem. I put the zip ty in, no problem, put the carb back on, no problem. Turn on the gas, PROBLEM!! there is gas pouring all over my basement floor!! The float had stuck I guess from being turned on its side so I take my little hammer and tap on it a few times, after I got it ouside, and fixed that. No more pouring gas.

So, time to start, shicin shicin, shicin. Sounds weird. I am thinking, oh my god I messed it up. So I think remember in my confusion I forgto to turn the fuel screw out, so I give her two and a half turns, hit the starter and it springs to life!! Yahoo!! Sweet victory at last.

So while I had the plug out of the bowl I took it down to a 170 main and a 45 pilot because when I took the plug out it was caked with black carbon and looked almost wet. The engine oil smells like gas too, hmmm, could it be, I don't know, SATAN?? More likely it was just too rich.

After I get her warmed up I go zippin around the pasture with a gleeful smile, all the while noticing how my newly cam modded yfz hits like a friggin hammer at about 4500 rpm. it is a nice improvement.

I guess the moral of the story is, don't let your kids help while you work on your quad, don't cut zip ties without having every orifice in the engine plugged, don't turn your carb on it's side too often, and if you mess up, don't freak out. With patience and determination you can fix anything....

Maxx

·
Registered
37 Posts
That is unbelievably funny, I'm sure it wasn’t at the time. It just sounds so much like my life and how things have gone for me lately. Glad to see you got the mod done the new found power sure is nice huh. :D

·
Registered
446 Posts
WOW, that's a story. At least you worked through it. And got to ride it. :bawl \
I just did my came mod probably right while you were doing yours. There was just NO slack in the chain (yes I removed the tensioner) so I pulled the intake cam too. The whole time I was thinking double jeopardy with the circlip thing.
While I was in there my plug looked just a touch white so I went up from a 170 to a 175. I hope I didn't kill my new foud top end power from the cam mod. I hate changing more than one thing at a time.

So I put it all together and she fired right up. Made a little noise and then the cam chain tensioner took the slack back up. SWEET. Can't wait until morning! No place to ride here at my house. :bawl

·
Registered
631 Posts
man i think i would have been bawling like a baby :lol you definately owe the wife dinner :lol glad to hear everything ended up good

andy

·
Registered
85 Posts
I let the chain drop down and use a magnetic pickup tool to get it back out when I am done. Never fails.

·
Registered
441 Posts
LOL when we were doing it on my buddies hes like cut the zip tie, went rigtht down in , we took the ignition cover off and it was sitting right in the passage way for the tranny im glad we got it out :lol

·
Registered
521 Posts
Man my wife wouldn't get near my quad if that happened, fetal position? that's hilarious, when I did mine I got lucky I guess, every time my 5 year old walked into the garage I yelled STAY AWAY DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING, DAD'S ALMOST DONE! lol

·
Registered
789 Posts
u got a way to get yours in the basement? anyways what kind of cam you put in and what exactly did you do? i am clueless here on what to do?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
http://www.eskimo.com/~daddog/index.htm

Yo man...

check the link above. I texplains what to do. As far as what it does, well it retards the exhaust cam timing by about 1 degree. I am no techie, but I understand that this causes the engine to make greater use of the spent gasses before it expels them, and it also expels a greater amount on it's exhaust stroke. It made a nice difference in mine especially around 4000 to 4500 RPM the thing hits like mad. If you haven't done this kinda work before, DON"T DO IT!! Get someone who has and have them help you. Good luck...

Maxx

p.s. Yeah, I got a walk out on my basement with double doors, so you know what I'll be doing this winter when I can't ride :rock

1 - 9 of 9 Posts