YFZ Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys recommend for a-arm width when switching to long travel. Should I go with XC or MX width? I am a recreational rider with no plans on racing. Most of my riding will be done on trails and open desert. I am looking at buying Houser.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd do fireball racing +2+1 because it's not so wide that it would disqualify you from a race if you were to ever venture into that and it's just a good comfortable stable stance you won't regret it, you could do +3+1 but it's a little wide for my taste. But I prefer fireball over any other a-arm manufacturer

·
Registered
219 Posts
+2 I'm running JD performance and they are great caster adjustment is super quick and easy with them because they use a shim set up. Also with +2 you can always take it in by simply getting some wheels with a different offset. I ride a lot of desert and things can get pretty tight and haven't had any issues at +2 with stock wheels.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking about going with a 4+1 offset wheel with a +2 a-arm. Would this put me at around a +1 width from stock?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
This would put you right around 48". Stock is about 46". You'd be adding 4" overall with the a-arms and then taking away 2" with the wheels. In my opinion, you should run the a-arms that are the widest that you feel comfortable running. I'm assuming you have friends with ATVs, so if that's the case, I'd assume that at least one of them has MX width arms. If you're concerned about tagging trees or rocks or whatever because of the width of your a-arms, then stay with a XC width. Not trying to be a jerk, but this shouldn't really be a question for the forum. This information is purely subjective and is only relevant to the person utilizing it. If you want wide a-arms, buy some. If you want to zip between trees, keep it narrow. This preference will only come from your own personal experience. I personally prefer to keep it as wide as AMA rules allow. The wider the a-arms, the longer the shock can be, thusly giving you potentially more shock travel and potentially more accurate valving. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run Houser MX width and do trails, bogging(avoiding deep stuff) and sand. havent got in a place where I couldn`t fit as sometimes an Xmr tries to keep up with us. pick the ones you were lusting all along, mx or xc. I love my houser and they took a beating and still look almost as good as new. pretty sure you will be happy with either one you pick, shocks make a huge difference if you push yourself and air out that baby.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Easier to turn...? I been doin this a while I've ridden +2 and +3 wide +1 forward and they don't handle any different but this info is coming from a guy with measurements for +1 wide and +2 forward... The shorter the wheelbase the smaller the turning radius the longer the larger turn radius. +1 fwd is a good combo and if you ride like it's meant you will be throttling your turns and t will all turn great

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.