YFZ Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I"m considering purchasing the badboy JSR cylinder for many reasons, but I am not sure where to purchase one. Do any site vendors carry them or would I have to go direct through JSR?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thoughts on Pros & cons on 98 vs 100mm

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hopefully he has them in stock. I'd prefer a 98mm just for the sake of additional reliability. Otherwise I'd be running a 100mm 14.25:1 venom piston, and I'm just not quite 100% sold on the reliability factor.

Even though they are O-ringed, I'd hate to blow head gaskets left and right.

Any thoughts

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
The 98mm would be better IMO. The 100mm cylinder needs to have the cases clearanced out so the cylinder skirt will fit into the cases. Unless you are building a BB/stroker I'd stick to the 98mm which will just bolt on.

I run a 100mm and a 98mm and don't have any problems.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I also ran a JSR 100 mil w/over 14.25 comp and did not have any problems,w'a 3mill strkr crank..Made a lot of tq.,in the neighborhood 0f 47lbstq...Also had to clearance the cases.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How long have you been using the 100mm? I don't plan on going stroker, just BB.

Terse: are there any major disadvantages with the 100mm vs the 98, besides having to bore the cases to fit. I'm mainly curious about head gaskets and if the added stress from the additional 20cc's is going to be a factor or no difference in the end?

Piston will be a venom 14.25:1 if its 100mm and prob the 12.25:1 if its a 98mm.

I realize tho that reliability and HP can only go so far.

·
Super Moderator
12,065 Posts
I've had mine for over a year and a half, and have run it in 3 different stroked motors and not problems.... so long as the head is tightened down correctly. The yfz head on a BB/Stroker and 100mm does not like the stock torq specs and will lift at high rpm causing the coolant to spray out the radiator over flow. So there is some before hand knowledge needed to run one "reliably".

My first question to you is what do you plan to do with the motor? Drag race only? Or everything type of riding? If it is anything more then drag race only I would go with a 98mm. The 98mm has more head surface area to seal to, and IMO better for reliability.

Why go the 14.25 100mm if the 98mm will be 12.25? Why not 98mm 14 comp? IMO there would be more power going with the 100mm 14 comp over a 98mm pump comp build, but a 98mm 14.1 comp motor would be all around better.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks terse. It would be my all around duner, not much drag racing honestly. The 100mm thought was more or less for having a torque machine for fun. Prob would be overkill in the big picture. It sounds like a 98 is the way to go. The only reason for a 12.25 is so I don't have to be married to race gas. The 100mm only comes in a 14.25 by venom so that was honestly the reasoning behind that thought. A 98 with a 14:1 was an alternative solution as well if I wanted to stick with race gas for that bore.
That high of compression won't create problems as long as I run 110 octane.?

Know of anyone with an o-ringed jsr 98mm cylinder for sale? Jsr is sold out, only has 100s.

·
Registered
67 Posts
QUOTE (pbsandman7 @ Apr 23 2010, 11:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=851911
Thanks terse. It would be my all around duner, not much drag racing honestly. The 100mm thought was more or less for having a torque machine for fun. Prob would be overkill in the big picture. It sounds like a 98 is the way to go. The only reason for a 12.25 is so I don't have to be married to race gas. The 100mm only comes in a 14.25 by venom so that was honestly the reasoning behind that thought. A 98 with a 14:1 was an alternative solution as well if I wanted to stick with race gas for that bore.
That high of compression won't create problems as long as I run 110 octane.?

Know of anyone with an o-ringed jsr 98mm cylinder for sale? Jsr is sold out, only has 100s.[/b]
As a cheap alternative to running high compression and race fuel,I would by 5 gals of 110 sunoco..Pour half into another empty 5 gal container,and then fill both up w/93 octane from Chevron..making a octane rating of 101-103 w/the 50/50 mix..Just another option if you want the xtra power associated w/big bore high compression motors..Personally,I dont know if you've ever replaced ur stock crank,but I would go w/a 3mil hot-rod strkr crank for hp and tq before big bore just by the #'s I see on the dyno..Just a thought..Good luck on ur build.

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That is currently what I am doing with my big bore set up. 50/50 doesn't cramp the bank but also gives you the piece of mind that I'm not putting in inconsistent pump gas.
I think I've made up my mind for the 98mm JSR with a 14:1 Venom piston. It will be a great upgrade over my sleeved 97mm 13:1 CP.

Now I just need to find a 98mm cylinder. I suppose I should get on the waiting list.
I don't plan on upgrading my crank quite yet, as my stock 06 is doing great. Plus I don't want to spend the $$ on a crank too at the moment.
When the time comes I'll only go +6 long rod Falicon or have my stocker sent to crank works for upgrading.

Anybody have a JSR cylinder for sale?? :icon_biggrin:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts