YFZ Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant find much info on the r and the stock shock quality

Also from what I remember the 14s shocks are upgraded from 09-13

Is it worth getting some stage 3 elkas or fox shocks?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I just got a 14 r a couple months ago u should try tuneing them in there actually nice shocks i weigh about 215 and got them running perfect for me just try to ajust them before u drop a ton of money on a whole new set of shocks look up project marshmellow decent starting point to begin fine tuneing to get it perfect for u

·
Registered
44 Posts
i dont have any experience with aftermarkets besides rideing my buddys polaris 500 with foxs was a really nice ride any one else have any imput i know allot of you are runny after markets i would assume better longevity of wear and handleing

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think it depends on what you want to spend really. IMO, stock the stock shocks don't compare to something like elkas or floats, but that doesn't mean the stock units are bad at all. They are really good shocks, something aftermarket is just better...

If you are a serious racer you could benefit from aftermarket. If you ride for fun/not regularly competing, I think the stockers will do you just fine. Take the time to set them up and you'll be surprised. I replaced my stock 2012 shocks (carb model) with 2008's that have all the adjustments and couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought an x model with factory shocks from a guy that just finished 2nd in his class (c) in GNCC for 2014. He didn't do two of the races either. So I would say the stock shocks can be decent. He had after market shocks on there for a race or two then sold then, he didn't like them. Forgot the brand.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
I am running the Marshmallow setup trail riding and blew a front shock seal. Has anyone else run into this? There are tons of tree roots exposed and it is impossible to avoid hitting them all you can do is slow down. I am starting to think the stock shocks aren't really that good quality.

I've ridden a KTM 525XC and I recall the front Ohlins shocks being way smoother.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If ur not going to do a arms then u should look in to just having ur stockers revalved and resprung...I had rg3 do mine after bout 2yrs and it was night and day, wish I would have done it the day I got it. And its a much cheaper way to go

Attachments

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How much did they charge u? Did they do the rear one too?

Are a arms going to benefit me? I dont want any wider because im a tight fit in some trails already

·
Registered
198 Posts
I dont remember exactly what they charged me but I believe it was round $1000 for all 3 but i had couple extra things done, like blue anodized bodies. fronts are triple rate, rear is double rate. They'll set them up for ur weight, riding style and level. So when u turn one click, u can tell unlike stockers.

As far as a arms go...stock width is 49 in, lets say u do a set of walsh arms, when u change arms u should also change rims. Stock rims are 3-2 offset, with most aftermarket arms u should run 4-1 offset. And u would b exactly 50in...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yama527 Im currently looking into either having my stock R shocks setup for me (resprung, valved etc) what is your opinion on the RG3 setup as compared to Hygear setup with Houser Slicast arms (longer travel stock shocks) Houser linkage. the total price I was given for all 3 shocks plus the arms and linkage was $2300 out the door which did include the anodizing and extended bladder caps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I ran the rg3 revalve for about 4 yrs, loved em! I have had some buddies go with hygear and they were happy with em but they both had problems with seals blowing (could have been buddies fault) I rode for 3 yrs without any problems before having em services. Sounds like a good price, they didnt have extended bladders when I did it, let me know how they work out

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.