YFZ Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me an a good friend just got back into ridding an he picked up a new 2014 can am ds450 x mx and its a sick ass bike with fox evo shocks, set up with bead locks and 18's and nerfs. so a week later i pick up a new 2014 yfz450r. like how guys are guys the comparison begins.. we are still in the brake in period on our bikes and he just keeps dogging my bike lol but was just wandering what ur guys out look on the new ds450's are compared to the yfzR's? Hes cocky as hell an would like to knock him down a notch in a drag race and what not.. what u guys think.. stock to stock?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would just tell you to line them up, without knowing either of your riding abilities. The CanAm is lighter, but I don't think they have the power that the Yamaha does. I have a '14 YFZR, and an '09 DS450X MX, and I prefer the Yamaha.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya we both have been riding sents we were around 6 or 7 an both got into raceing mx but went away once girls started coming into the picture (girls always screw up a good thing lol) so we know how to ride pretty dam good.. but after a few more hour's of brake in time we will..

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
First off who cares what bike preforms better stock, I hope you're not planning on leaving your YFZR stock. Having said that I bet the can-am MX version is faster stock for stock sine they are trying to have a MX ready quad with the fox evols and all.

Now that you bought the YFZR you really need to buy a full pipe, FCI intake, fuel programmer & a better intake cam. Then you'll be GTG.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
First off who cares what bike preforms better stock, I hope you're not planning on leaving your YFZR stock. Having said that I bet the can-am MX version is faster stock for stock sine they are trying to have a MX ready quad with the fox evols and all.

Now that you bought the YFZR you really need to buy a full pipe, FCI intake, fuel programmer & a better intake cam. Then you'll be GTG.
I care cuz the bikes are stock to stock so i would like to know if anyone had some realy input.. Ya i realy dont have any big plains to build this bike like i did with my last one.. i had almost 4k just into engine work in my old big bore\stroker kfx400 and it was nutty, but i just spent $9k on the bike and dont want to
dump another few k into it. An yes pipe, programmer, and intake in the first year but no plains for the cams..

And yes im not babying the bike to much but i dont even have a half a tank through it yet.. so just been back roading a bit but i have got on it a few good times, but by no means trying to fallow the dealerships advice (keep it under half throttle for at least 10 hours of ride time) haha

·
Registered
292 Posts
Stock to stock depends or has the best reaction time and knows how to put the power to the ground every can am I've raced (Mx) I've always pulled them all had Was a pipe an msd they had the same set up full pipe and programer.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I've read that in stock trim, the DS450 makes 43hp, although, I believe this is BHP, not WHP. My intention is definitely not to start a pissing match, although I realize it may happen. I have a 2009 DS450X MX with mild BCS port work (no epoxy), two exhaust cams, BCS intake ring with big foam filter, Yoshi pipe, R102L ECU, and green injector. In my experience, the CanAm may have more peak power than the Yamaha, but the power is in a narrower band. This may be okay for riders who are more familiar with the machine, but typically, the Yamaha will perform better for the average rider, being that the power band is spread out over a wider range. This wider power band will be more forgiving in terms of short shifting or over-revving. I have a 2014 YFZR and I feel as though the Yamaha, with just a PC5 and a Yoshi pipe, is about as fast as the CanAm. With my Vortex installed, along with tuning, and an intake setup, and an '08 carbed intake cam, I feel that my Yamaha will definitely run stronger than my CanAm. I haven't had my CanAm on the dyno, as it was already tuned when I bought it, and I had no desire to know the HP and TQ numbers, just for the sake of knowing the numbers. My Yamaha, on the other hand, fell on it's face any time you even looked at the throttle, until I got my PC5 installed and tuned. Now, with all of this being said, depending on the gearing, and tires, and terrain, the machines will likely be very close in performance, as I believe the Yamaha will be more forgiving, but the CanAm will offer more performance if you can access/harness it. The CanAm is also noticeably lighter, which may be of some benefit. The only way to see for certain is to line 'em up... so... get to it. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
219 Posts
yes, carb cam is still better than 14 cam. year doesnt matter as far as i know. most people seem to use 08 though.you can buy them new from yamaha. or used in great shape on ebay for 1/4 price.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
yes, carb cam is still better than 14 cam. year doesnt matter as far as i know. most people seem to use 08 though.you can buy them new from yamaha. or used in great shape on ebay for 1/4 price.
The year does matter, you want the 06-09 carb yfz intake cam.

It's definitely worth it, the stock YFZR intake cam is designed for emissions regulations. The EPA has been cracking down on atv manufacturers

·
Registered
284 Posts
Now that you bought the YFZR you really need to buy a full pipe, FCI intake, fuel programmer & a better intake cam. Then you'll be GTG.[/QUOTE]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Hole different motor with the mods above.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.