YFZ Central banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought you guys might want to see my new exhaust I just got today. It's an FMF Factory 4.1 slip on and a MegaBomb Titanium header. Taking everything to a Yamaha dealer down the road who actually has a dyno! They will install everything, remove the AIS, air box mod, install the PCV and dyno tune and only charge me $250 including the dyno. Sounded like a pretty good deal. This isn't the dealership where I bought my YFZ but I've heard these guys do very good work and they have worked on many 14 YFZ's! I hope the steps I've taken so far will some what help my YFZ perform better. I'll post updates of the progress.

Yes, I didn't want to take it out of the plastic :)

And the work is being done @ Bob Lanphere's Beaverton Motorcycles.
http://www.beavertonmotorcycles.com/aboutus.asp

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Make sure the dealer wipes your header down with alcohol before they start your engine or you will have finger print marks on your header that are extremely hard to remove.

Will do! Thank you!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Good choice with the MegaBomb header. Even if it didn´t add power or drop dB, I´d still spring for it if I was in the market for an FMF setup. They´re cool looking. I second the cleaning of the headpipe prior to startup. Those fingerprints are a bugger to remove. $250 isn´t too bad to install your stuff and dyno tune it for you. Good luck with the install and with the upgrades. Let us know how it all pans out.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good choice with the MegaBomb header. Even if it didn´t add power or drop dB, I´d still spring for it if I was in the market for an FMF setup. They´re cool looking. I second the cleaning of the headpipe prior to startup. Those fingerprints are a bugger to remove. $250 isn´t too bad to install your stuff and dyno tune it for you. Good luck with the install and with the upgrades. Let us know how it all pans out.
From what I've been hearing, the MegaBomb alone adds up to 3 hp mostly to low and mid range. Exactly what I'm looking for.. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Hey, just for the sake of knowing, you should have them make a dyno pull before the mods to show what the mods give you.
Yup they will do that :)

They told me they will make 3 runs! One before anything is installed, one after the exhaust system is installed only and one more after AIS is removed, airbox mod and PCV is done.

I sure hope I see a little Improvement!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Cool. Hopefully they´re tuning it, and not just making dyno pulls. Pulls simply for the purpose of getting horsepower and torque numbers is silly in my opinion, unless it´s done prior to any modifications to obtain a baseline measurement. I would imagine that you´d see an improvement.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool. Hopefully they´re tuning it, and not just making dyno pulls. Pulls simply for the purpose of getting horsepower and torque numbers is silly in my opinion, unless it´s done prior to any modifications to obtain a baseline measurement. I would imagine that you´d see an improvement.
Very good point! These guys know what they're doing. They know how bad this bog has been bugging me! Even If I see a little improvement on the lower end I'll be happy hehe!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sounds like me. A compromise between power and proper operation shouldn't be required, but with a gun to my head, I'd choose proper operation. I'm still planning to do a shootout between the top three fuel controllers (Vortex, MSD, PC5) but I'll likely end up running the Vortex in the long run, for a couple reasons-- one of them being that I've seen evidence of proper operation (even without dyno tuning) and it's smaller, less-intrusive, and it replaces the ECU (not piggybacking off of it). In the end, it's all about the results, right? After dyno-tuning with my PC5 and still having the bog, I'm ready to try the MSD, mainly just to see if it's any better than the PC5, and then give the Vortex a go. Give 'er the ol' college try...

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sounds like me. A compromise between power and proper operation shouldn't be required, but with a gun to my head, I'd choose proper operation. I'm still planning to do a shootout between the top three fuel controllers (Vortex, MSD, PC5) but I'll likely end up running the Vortex in the long run, for a couple reasons-- one of them being that I've seen evidence of proper operation (even without dyno tuning) and it's smaller, less-intrusive, and it replaces the ECU (not piggybacking off of it). In the end, it's all about the results, right? After dyno-tuning with my PC5 and still having the bog, I'm ready to try the MSD, mainly just to see if it's any better than the PC5, and then give the Vortex a go. Give 'er the ol' college try...
Ok you're freaking me out now lol!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sorry, man. Not my intention. Just trying to put the info out there. I have the PC5 and an MSD (not installed yet), and planned on doing a dyno shootout before with the top three controllers. Now, after having installed and dyno-tuned the PC5 and still having the bog, I'm frustrated. PWeeZy42 posted a video of his '14 YFZR revving after the installation of the Vortex and the machine seems to run flawlessly, even without dyno-tuning. The throttle response is instantaneous and there is absolutely no bog. I still want to run my MSD on the dyno just to see if there's any measurable difference in power compared to the PC5. I'll likely end up selling the MSD and the PC5 for cheap after the shootout, so, be ready in a couple weeks, guys, if you're looking for a used but functional fuel controller. I still have about a week and a half until I get home, and my controllers probably won't be for sale until the weekend after, but would likely be open to offers before then. Shameless advertising, I know... I definitely wish you luck with the tuning. Make sure to talk to the shop about enriching the fuel down low, where the bog is. I've heard that this helps. Somewhere in the range of 800-1800 RPM. Good luck, buddy. You may want to PM warrenlaw, as well. I know he dealt with his dealership about this and they adjusted some of the values in his ECU and I think he said that it helped quite a bit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, man. Not my intention. Just trying to put the info out there. I have the PC5 and an MSD (not installed yet), and planned on doing a dyno shootout before with the top three controllers. Now, after having installed and dyno-tuned the PC5 and still having the bog, I'm frustrated. PWeeZy42 posted a video of his '14 YFZR revving after the installation of the Vortex and the machine seems to run flawlessly, even without dyno-tuning. The throttle response is instantaneous and there is absolutely no bog. I still want to run my MSD on the dyno just to see if there's any measurable difference in power compared to the PC5. I'll likely end up selling the MSD and the PC5 for cheap after the shootout, so, be ready in a couple weeks, guys, if you're looking for a used but functional fuel controller. I still have about a week and a half until I get home, and my controllers probably won't be for sale until the weekend after, but would likely be open to offers before then. Shameless advertising, I know... I definitely wish you luck with the tuning. Make sure to talk to the shop about enriching the fuel down low, where the bog is. I've heard that this helps. Somewhere in the range of 800-1800 RPM. Good luck, buddy. You may want to PM warrenlaw, as well. I know he dealt with his dealership about this and they adjusted some of the values in his ECU and I think he said that it helped quite a bit.
It's all good lol! All the info that I've read on this website on what really fixes the bog like adding fuel 800 - 1800 range like you said, I've passed along to the guys at the shop who are tuning my bike. I hope it helps!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Me too, for your sake. I'd like to have the guys at SandTrax try and get rid of the bog on mine one more time before I take the PC5 off for good. I just wanna see if it can be done. Then I'll have the MSD tuned on there and see what it does. Then I'll slap the Vortex on there and be done with it.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Me too, for your sake. I'd like to have the guys at SandTrax try and get rid of the bog on mine one more time before I take the PC5 off for good. I just wanna see if it can be done. Then I'll have the MSD tuned on there and see what it does. Then I'll slap the Vortex on there and be done with it.
What bike and mods do you have? 14se?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have a '14. It's not the SE. It's orange and white, like yours. I'd show another picture of it, but I'm not so smooth when it comes to posting pictures on the forum. Right now, I just have a Yoshi RS-2 Pro with my PC5 and the airbox lid pulled. The PC5 is actually tuned for my custom pipe that I made, so it's not perfect for my Yoshi, but it still runs good (except for the frickin' bog...) I'll be installing an intake that should offer performance similar to the FCI, and likely a larger foam filter. Also, I plan on removing the top-end to port the head. I also plan to fire up my mill and machine the base of the jug by about .018" to accomplish the same results as the SLHG mod without taking away the reliability of the complete OEM head gasket. So, to make a short story long, just the Yoshi pipe and the PC5.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a '14. It's not the SE. It's orange and white, like yours. I'd show another picture of it, but I'm not so smooth when it comes to posting pictures on the forum. Right now, I just have a Yoshi RS-2 Pro with my PC5 and the airbox lid pulled. The PC5 is actually tuned for my custom pipe that I made, so it's not perfect for my Yoshi, but it still runs good (except for the frickin' bog...) I'll be installing an intake that should offer performance similar to the FCI, and likely a larger foam filter. Also, I plan on removing the top-end to port the head. I also plan to fire up my mill and machine the base of the jug by about .018" to accomplish the same results as the SLHG mod without taking away the reliability of the complete OEM head gasket. So, to make a short story long, just the Yoshi pipe and the PC5.
Sorry if I've asked this before but have you removed the ais?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.