YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bit of a problem going on...

Oil is disappearing, if you can believe that.

Engine doesnt smoke, at all... There arent any visible leaks, at all.

I have a 38 motorsports breather box installed, the vent tube does not puke out oil.

I have experienced it puking oil once, i had over filled the crankcase, and the excess oil
blew out of the vent hose, covering some of my right shoe, right tire, right side nerf bar.

What should i look for?

I am at a complete loss as to where the oil is going.

Thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
Are you checking with the engine hot?

Reactions: kilroy

·
Super Moderator
3,989 Posts
If it isn't coming out your breather vent line, and you don't have any oil leaks the only thing left is you're burning the oil or like SilsbySilverado103 said above you're not measuring it when it's warm...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it'll be about 1/3 of a quart low, i'll top it off, ride it, park it, go to ride it again and it'll be 1/3 quart low again or so.

I rode it for about 20 minutes maybe 2 weeks ago, i noticed the other night that the oil was lower then the JLS clear

oil cover, i added oil, i have not looked at it since, have not ran it with the oil i added.

I dont know exactly how much oil i have added, Have done this 3 times now.

the 1/3 of a quart is an approximate measurement.

Mods related to the engine are as follows -

AIS Delete

Vortex
Dasa full exhaust/ short can

FCI Intake

JLS side cover

·
Super Moderator
3,989 Posts
You may want to drain your oil and add 1.5 qts plus additional for the larger JLS tank. This will give you a better idea of what's happening.

·
Registered
839 Posts
If you do that, measure how much comes out too when you drain it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
With the jls cover is there like a mark to see the full level or can you see the dipstick full level mark? I think that cover is cool and alllws you to see how "worn out" the oil looks like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You can clearly see the dip stick through the clear cover. No need to pull the dipstick.

I however do not recommend anyone buy one from that guy or anything at all from JLS.

Buy a cover from one of the other guys selling them/producing them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why is that?

Those who have trouble with anything that guy sells, they have handfuls of problems with

his customer service. I personally experienced quite a child like interaction with the guy.

The cover i bought from him, the powdercoating is failing and the clear cover is cracking
more and more as time goes on. You can see oil seeping into the cracks, it'll eventually fail.

So what is that cover called? Brand? What or who is the SOURCE no middle man BS? URL?

The cover i have is from from JLS motorsports or whatever he calls him self.

Someone else makes them, someone else finishes them, he simply sells them.

I have no clue who the higher up is, as far as i know.. From what ive read on

facebook. People call him out every now and again.

I just refuse to deal with people anymore who cant supply decent customer service

or even talk to you like you are an adult... Especially on facebook.

Facebook is so dumb anymore.

I miss visiting forums that were loaded with active users.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im guessing maybe i was over filling the oil from the get go..

Ive only rode it once since posting this thread, and that was just over this past weekend and was only for about 20 minutes.

Buttttt.. before then, i have started the quad and have let it run and get up to temp a few times..

I havent noticed that the oil level has changed any.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah i guess i do still have a problem.

Quad sat for a few weeks, i started it and let it idle for a good few minutes, i rode it for maybe 10 minutes and then parked it.

Before i started it, i viewed the oil level through the clear side cover and it was a good 1.5" or so up on the clear cover.
I just looked at it tonight and there is no oil visible at all on the side cover.

I need to drain and capture the oil and see how much comes out and go from there.

My mind is blown..

·
Registered
839 Posts
There is no point in checking the oil level when it's not warm. ONLY check it with it warm.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Sounds like you are not checking the oil level correctly. And dump that clear cover since you seem to not take advantage of using the clear window to look at the level. Anyone know if the clear plastic window material can handle scorching super heated oil in a hot summer day keeping it pinned and pinned and not have that window crack and risk the engine by losing oil ? Can the window handle some stones bashing into it compared to the oem aluminum cover?

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Sounds like you are not checking the oil level correctly. And dump that clear cover since you seem to not take advantage of using the clear window to look at the level. Anyone know if the clear plastic window material can handle scorching super heated oil in a hot summer day keeping it pinned and pinned and not have that window crack and risk the engine by losing oil ? Can the window handle some stones bashing into it compared to the oem aluminum cover?
I've had my tlo about 2 years

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 24 Posts