YFZ Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up all.. just picked up a 2014 yfz 450r. Realy good end of year deal.. has the same problems as all the rest 2014's . glowing head pipe, stalling at idel with u snap the gas, bogging on low end, back fire\ popping at d-acceleration, stalling when slowing down.. awsome bike as long as ur on the gas 95% of the time.. but i orderd the ais block off an a down tooth for it to try to get some low end an fix the stalling/bogging issue.. but looking at Fuel commander's or a programmers an looking for somthing simple to use cuz all i would like to do is the big 3.. any in put on the Yoshimura EMS Self Mapping Data Box PIM-2? Or should i go with a fuel programer buy power commander?

·
Registered
535 Posts
First of all welcome.
It's going to depend on how you want to go. Also your going to get different opinion from different people a lot of people like the MSD if you can get a dyno tuned a few times at a good Dyno and some like the PC five with autotune personally I went with the vortex and it completely eliminated all of the bogging and stalling issues.
Either way good luck and post up a pic or two.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looked up the vortex an man $700.. was only lookkng to spend around the $300 400 range.. not realy looking for the highest hp just somthimg to clear up the problems an give some good low end an easy to use\ plug an play unit.. cuz all i do is just aggressive trail ridding an some back woods raceing with a few friends..

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And with the power camander (PCFC) fuel controller can u just buy this an plug an play and simple tune it for a pipe an filter change? Or no

ttp://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/PCFC/powercommander_pcfc.aspx

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ive got the full yoshi, fci intake and MSD and managed to get some great running numbers on my MSD with no Dyno tune. Im sure the Dyno tune will make it perfect but for now it rips and doesnt cut out or bog on me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Kennith,
The Yoshi is awesome! Mine must be special because my header doesn't glow at all. Lol.... Very little heat comes off my pipe.???
Hmmmmm my Yoshi is diff then yours. I have 2 heat shields on mine i see yours doesnt. Wonder why that is.... Great pipe though! and my header glows only at night. you cant see it during the day at all!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the info.. and defiantly going with a yoshi full system soon after i brake the bike in.. but i put on my down tooth sprocket today an much better for the trails around the house will do the ais this weekend. And i liken the bike more an more evertime i start it up.. lil differnt to get use to the power and how it comes more from the top end cuz my last bike was a 03 kfx 400 with 470 big bore stroker, high comp, cam, p&p head, clutch, carb and that bike had so much low end it was crazy.. 5th gear at any rpm it would just bring the front tires right up. Dont want to go crazy an dump all that time an money in this bike like i did that one but man i can tell it has so much potential to make great power.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Yeah, I have a '14R and have the RS-2 Pro and the Power Commander 5, dyno-tuned, with a small amount of bog still present. I also have an MSD (not installed yet) and a Vortex that should be at my house tomorrow. There's also a forum member selling a Dobeck-style programmer that I plan on purchasing for testing, as well. I plan on doing a dyno shootout with all of them. Just to see which is best, or offers the best bang for the buck, rather. After the test, I'll have the ones that I don't use available for sale. Likely to be cheap. Good luck with your machine, and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
To be honest, I am too. I'm anxious to see what each one will provide. It's such a pain trying to decide which one to get, because of everyone saying that theirs is the best, or whatever. I just want objective data. A dollar per horsepower breakdown, with an understanding of how each one performs after tuning. I assume that the MSD will slightly edge out the PC5, simply because of the timing adjustability, and the Vortex will offer roughly the same peak power as the MSD, but will provide bog-free operation, which is primarily what I'm after. I'm hoping that the forum member with the Dobeck-style programmer will get back to me, as I'd like to include that style in the shootout as well. All of the testing will be done on the same day, with the same quad, on the same dyno, by the same tech. Same fuel, etc... no variables other than the controller.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.