YFZ Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am looking into something new for my new ride,

I want a rear shock with the longest travel possible along with a linkage for it.

Shock needs to be very durable and heat resistent it will be used in
europe's most famous beach race Enduropale -> quaduro
a 3h race on the beach lethal for rider and machine trust me on that :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8f2IVy1vd4

small example (after 2h race the track is 1 big mess of putholes)

so shocks are working overtime there, that's why I need some advice to figur out a good durable setup for my rear end.

so again :

Longest travel possible
durable rear shock preferred with fixed piggyback
different linkages

thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody ?

does the walsh link system allows you a longer shock ?

·
Registered
219 Posts
the walsh linkage does make the shock a bit longer. not sure how much, but form what i have heard from the forum and my buddy who has tried a few, it is the linkage to have. for a shock I will be going with motowoz for my 2015 build. I have heard one person say that after a long moto, they will start to fade out. I dont know if that is true or not. they seem to be really nice shocks, and the ones ive ridden before (on a honda) have been the best shocks ive ridden on. which is why im going with them on the yami for next season.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for your imput!

a long moto = 30 min?

that race is 3h so it really has to have a good setting :)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
I just ordered a Motowoz rear shock with the Houser Ballance racing XC linkage. Jim at motowoz said with this linkage the shock eye to eye was actually a bit shorter but it has a little bit more travel than the stock length shock.

You might look and see what shocks Baja/Desert racers are using for those long ass races. Im sure Pep, Motowoz, Elka, Axis would all be great.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
PEP is worthless in this kinda race (been there done that)

actually all socks with separate piggyback are not good..
the steel line blocks the free flow of the shock oil..

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I apologize in advance for potentially hijacking this thread, but has anyone ever thought of running two separate oil lines for the shock reservoir and using a check valve? This would effectively turn the reservoir and oil line into sort of a heat exchanger. I know I've seen shocks with two oil lines, before...

·
Registered
219 Posts
thats a good thought... motowoz builds custom shocks, id give them a call and see what they say. the two line idea is good if it works. but i know the OP wants piggyback, i think motowoz should be able to do that for you. and yes a long moto being 20 to 30 minutes at pro level mx.

·
Registered
265 Posts
So....it looks like a GNCC course without the trees, rocks, steep hill climbs, stream crossings, mud, tree roots and stumps. But at least it's got a 4 mile long straight away to give enough time to think about not having to avoid trees, rocks, steep hill climbs, stream crossings, mud, tree roots and stumps....and a great view of the beach to boot. I would be more worried which SPF to use....35 or 50.

Only kidding....I have a Fox Podium RC2 with a Houser rear link which works amazing for a 2 hour cross country race. I couldn't imagine a rear set up that could work better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.