YFZ Central banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did an oil change on my quad a few months ago and ever since then I’ve had a small and slow leak from the drain bolt on the front. I first tried changing the copper crush washer, and I thought that was the issue as the washer looked warped and had a hole in it. Once I changed it I still had the leak. I then went to ride now and asked them about it and showed them some pictures. They think it is because the case is marred up. I tried to file it down and smoothen it. I have not put oil back in since, and it just had what was left (I only drained the oil from the front bolt, not the one on the side also). I put a new crush washer again and a new drain bolt. I just went to look at it and it looks like a tiny bit of oil is still leaking from there. I have no idea what the issue is at this point. I have attached some photos that show what it looked like before I tried filing it down.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
DO NOT FILE IT UP unless u REALLY KNOW WHAT U ARE DOING U risk messing up the threads or "UN SQUARING" the flatness of the surface. My guess most likely copper crush washers were re used AND NEVER REPLACED. I ALWAYS REPLACE THEM.

THIS IS what i would do if I was you assuming threads are fine. Get some toyota oil drain bolt crush washers THat fit. They are aluminum i think, but have ruber coating on both sides.

Or take your NEW OEM drain bolt to auto parts store and look for those crush washers with rubbery coating on both sides match it to drain bolt. NOT THICK ONES. 1MM MAX THICKNESS.
AND GET THE PART NUMBER IF IT STOPS THE leak and buy large quantities from rockauto matching part number for cheap.

Or lightly coat a new copper crush washer with grey rtv or black light coat both sides let it get tacky a few minutes. Snug it up, wait a little and torque to 10 pounds no more than that.

Good luck and post back so we know what fixes it not be gone and never tell us what happen.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve replaced the copper crush washers twice now. Do you think Teflon would help?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
GAMBLERS "OVER KILL TIP"

Sharpie bolt head to case or top center for a quick pre ride inspection to see if bolt has not backed out.

NEVER DO 14LBS OF TORQUE as book says, its too much. Threads are oiled and can equal roughly 22 pounds or more of torque.

Yes i know atvman gonna bark oh thats not needded blah blah blah. I said overkill buddy.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I’ve replaced the copper crush washers twice now. Do you think Teflon would help?
Problem is not the threads. Its the flatness of surface. Reread my suggestion. Teflon u risking getting inside of engine and clogging stuff if over done and starving of oil.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Something like this.

THE REAL FIX IS A MACHINE SHOP TO PERFECTLY CUT A HAIR OFF SQUARE FOR FRESH SMOOTH SURFACE LIKE NEW. BUT u gonna pull engine out take it and pay and put engine back? Probably not.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Correct size of course. Thats a general pic so u get the idea.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Problem is not the threads. Its the flatness of surface. Reread my suggestion. Teflon u risking getting inside of engine and clogging stuff if over done and starving of oil.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Based on the pics yes.

So two BRAND NEW SHINY OEM YAMAHA DRAIN PLUGS out of the baggie AND NEW OEM CRUSH WASHERS NOT STOPPING LEAK?

HAS TO BE THE ROUGH SURFACE. NO OTHER LOgical explanation.

NEW COPPER WASHERZ EACH TIME GUYZ.

CUSE when u take em out they already distorted zmashed sharp edge. Then they rotate a little when reusing not smooth like new ones would be and they eat into the cast aluminum over time.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
So you think the issue is the surface on the case for sure?
For sure? I do not know if u using copper gaskets same as OEM u do not say. I do not know if u reuse crush gaskets. No one knows they not there. Did someone at one time or each time cranked the plugs like TIGHT TIGHT forcing the copper washers to rotate more than intended? Did u 4get to install the copper crush gaskets at one time causing the bolt to eat dig into the case? No one knows maybe u.

Hey man u sure i cannot ride for krapp? U sure?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I dont really think is a big issue. Other people pull threads and panic i for sure would if i pulled them LOL. try a thin coat of rtv on both sides of NEW copper washerS

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Let us know bro the update...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts