YFZ Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a beating on my front brakes this year in MX and now I need pads, as I look through my parts unlimited and marshall books, they list the brakes for ALL YFZ's as the same part numbers, having a left and right that are different. The ONLY pads available aftermarket are for the two piston caliper. I've come to realize that mine is a single piston caliper and has completely different pads than EVERY other model before it. It looks as if they took the Non-R in 2012 and 2013 and stripped them to an econobox and skimped out on quality. Now it looks like I can ONLY get OEM pads and I'm not OK with that.

My question is, will a caliper from a 2004-2009 carb YFZ fit my spindles? If so, I will upgrade them to the two piston caliper.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I would assume that you would be able to bolt the caliper mount and caliper from a 2-piston setup onto your machine. The spindles from a 2006 (what I had, with 2-piston calipers) and the spindles from a 2012 (with single piston calipers) are the same part number, so it's basically just a matter of sourcing the calipers and mounts. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
535 Posts
What would be the advantage of the dual caliper? To me it would just be more expensive when you need to replace two per side compared to 1.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What would be the advantage of the dual caliper? To me it would just be more expensive when you need to replace two per side compared to 1.
Stopping power. Clamping force. Brake later coming in to a turn.

·
Registered
102 Posts
There has always been an inner and an outer pad. The dual piston has more clamping force and a bigger pad. Aftermarket price is usually the same for single or dual pads.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
PWeeZy42, I think you may have misunderstood... or maybe just mistyped... anyway, the setup isn't actually a dual-caliper setup. It's just for dual-piston calipers. This is simply for more surface area and thusly more clamping force, as Badams stated. Also, as Fredyobt stated, the brake pads are generally the same price or at least in the same range for the single piston vs. dual piston setups. For those who don't necessarily want to change their setup, the brake pads from a Warrior, '03+ Blaster, Raptor 660 should work for the 2012+ carbed YFZ.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For the price of a dual piston setup on eBay, and the fact that I already have dozens of th pads in stock... There's no reason for me to not switch. I always wondered what the deal was with my quad, during races I'd get a good amount of brake fade. I don't use the rear at all so I need my fronts to be a good and as reliable as possible.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I had rear brake fade towards the end of races. I changed to a stainless line and changed my fluid to Motul 5.1. Seems to have the highest boiling point. No problems after that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.