YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently blew my engine in my 08. It's going to cost more to fix than its worth, but I'm still trying to figure out what to do because the rest of the quad is highly upgraded.

I found a 2012 carb motor for sale. Will this motor bolt into the my 08 frame?

If I end up buying a complete 2012 carb yfz, will most of my parts switch over?

Thanks!

·
Registered
155 Posts
The 2012 will bolt right in. Difference in 12 is cheaper carb, head, valves, springs, carb. If you get a complete 2012 switch out your brakes also. Twin piston front and rear as opposed to single piston on 12'. Shocks on 08' have a lot of adjustment. 12' model are econo shocks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
motor is the same just use your 08 carb . the 12 is a cheeper one but would work if you get it with the motor. . I think the cams are differant in the 12 but should not matter other than jetting if you use your 08 carb.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Awesome thank you! I just had 1 ride on a new front end with elka stage 5 long travel shocks. If I ended up getting the R, would it be worth it to buy aftermarket a arms for the R in order to keep my new elkas?

·
Registered
151 Posts
There's a good chance that your carb long travel set up is the same or very close to the R. If they're around 18.75", you'll be good to go. I've been quite impressed with stock R shocks though. I am an elka dealer and I haven't found any shortcomings of the stocks to want to switch yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. I decided to go with the 2012 carb motor that I found. I just finished putting together my 08 and didn't want to take the time to swap all of my parts over....didn't have the cash for a R.

Does anybody know how to get a bit more out of the 2012 motor yet...or make an aftermarket cam? I will already have the older carb since I'm putting it on my 08. My 08 already has an exhaust and k&n filter with open air box. I was getting ready to port it and add a cam right before the motor blew up.

I mainly do open socal desert and dune riding with yearly trips to Utah to ride the trails around Kanab and Coral Pink (not the dunes there). Probably wont be doing any mx. We ride pretty fast and aggressive.

·
Registered
864 Posts
There's nothing different between the older carb bikes besides the swing arm. Motor will bolt right up and cams from the old motor will work also

·
Registered
151 Posts
It'll be no different than any motor, really... you've already got the FCR Carb in it so you don't have to do that. I've had both the 2012-2013 cams and 2004-2009 cams in mine and the older cams make better power up top but the newer cams are far better on bottom-mid. There are no "hacks" like the cam mod on the newer motor, unfortunately. You're going to spend money to make more power with this one. I'd pull the head and have it ported (hit me up, I can do it for you) and while the head is off, throw a high compression piston in it. and if you're going to port it, you might as well put better valves and springs in it and put a good set of cams in it. It's going to be a money pit, just like any other engine! ha ha.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all the info guys. I'll probably keep it stock for now but good to know that I can upgrade it in the future. I had read that you couldn't switch cams out but it sounds like you can with the old valves.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.