YFZ Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

Thank you in advance for taking a moment to read this post.

So here's the story, my 2010 Fuel-Injected YZ450F used to kickstart like a champ within 2-3 kicks all the time; It was great! Then I blew a head gasket, but although I blew the head gasket, it would still start within 2-3 kicks cold.

So I took the bike to my local Yamaha authorized mechanic to have the head gasket replaced and while there, they also replaced the piston rings as there was a 5% loss and they figured while we've got it apart, might as well.

Now that I've got it back, I can't for the life of me kick start it successfully. I keep having to roll-start it in 2nd gear and it fires up immediately. When I took it back to the shop to complain, the mechanic got on it and within 5-8 kicks was able to start it continuously. Being that I'm left footed (right foot kickstart on bike), I just can't manage to kick-start it like I used to be able to with EASE! Damn it! It didn't even need to be at top-dead-center.

Anyone have any ideas what may have happened between pre-shop to post-shop repair? Why the loss of easy start? Is it because there's higher compression b/c new rings? Any tips on what I can do to make it easy/easier? Can I play with the choke/starter valve to a certain position to result in an easier start?

Quick Notes:
Bike idles beautifully with and w/o choke engaged with a steady idle
Bike fires up immediately on a roll-start into 1st or 2nd gear.
Bike has a high performance kit of: larger bore, aftermarket piston

·
Registered
16 Posts
Start with the simple things. Likely trouble spots include a blown fuse, or a malfunctioning kickstand safety switch or clutch/starter interlock switch. If the culprit is a blown fuse, replace it with one that carries the same amperage rating and give her another try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts