Red line was old build: 51.95HP 33.65 TQ
FCI
Barkers
06 intake cam
Venom stock valve HVP porting
44mm TB
MSD
Stock bore CP 12.75:1 Piston

Bike definitely runs good, always hoping to see a little more power at the dyno, but these YFZR's are hard to get lots of power out of. Once this piston is worn out i think i will do a high compression 14:1 piston with a bigger cam, hopefully i can get a few more HP and a bit more TQ out of it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Wow great numbers! Glad you put that warp speed cam too good use!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When we were at the Dyno we had a chance to compare the Vortex VS the MSD on my buddies bike. The Vortex made the same HP as a properly tuned MSD with the timing advanced. So save your $$ unless you really like the clean install of the Vortex, i always hated the way the MSD was in the way of the filter and eventually my space age velcro wore out.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
When we were at the Dyno we had a chance to compare the Vortex VS the MSD on my buddies bike. The Vortex made the same HP as a properly tuned MSD with the timing advanced. So save your $$ unless you really like the clean install of the Vortex, i always hated the way the MSD was in the way of the filter and eventually my space age velcro wore out.
I never put the msd where they said to. I saw a power difference believe or not.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I never put the msd where they said to. I saw a power difference believe or not.
You made more power with the MSD? Your YFZR was a full tilt build with that MMAD 121 head on MR12, I doubt those pre loaded Vortex maps would do as good a job as a custom MSD map. Did you ever get a chance to use the Vortex software?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Really nice curve you´ve made.
I have also just made a build with the Athena big bore cylinder, but with Hotcams stage 3 intake cam. After testing it on track, I think the engine got a little too hot, so I ordered the Hotcams stage 3 exhaust cam to. Now the engine is operating at an acceptable temperature, so problem solved.
I would recommend you to think about another exhaust cam, if you are using your machine for track racing...:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.