YFZ Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 YFZ and the intake valves are not sealing up. Comp. test revealed intake valves (outer) leaking. I've never done anything with the valves, just how hard is it to replace them? Would I be better off replacing the head all together w/ valves already installed or replacing the valves in the existing head (it's not warped or anything)? I am not trying to break the bank having somebody else do it, I'd like to do it myself, save a little cash, maybe rebuild with a port job and a 13/1 piston. I think with the money I save, I should have a pretty nasty build. If I end up replacing the head (as a unit) I'll be selling it, I'm sure someone will make good use of it.

What would be the best route for me to take? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
315 Posts
as long as the valves arent bent just get a valve job done and you will be all set. most of the time the seats get a little depression in the and a recut of the seats is all it takes.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (TTMRACING @ Feb 24 2009, 03:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=750524
as long as the valves arent bent just get a valve job done and you will be all set. most of the time the seats get a little depression in the and a recut of the seats is all it takes.[/b]
I had a guy adjust the valves to the correct specs and everything and he said they got it all back together and it was losing compression. (that cost >$100) That's why I'm trying to get everything good to go and then put it back together myself, not trying to keep wasting money. He was telling me to replace the valves, rebuild, etc...over $1000! No way, I'll do it myself or find some place cheaper to help me get it fixed up. Who does the valve job at a good price?

·
Registered
2,347 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The only reason I had someone else play with it is because I changed out the carb, rode it for a bit, then it wouldn't start. I couldn't get it to start for the life of me! He was going to check it out, the jetting, valve clearances, anything else that I may have overlooked, (all the stuff I had already checked)etc... long story short, I got tired of it and ended up paying for it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
How did he check the compression? Didn't know you could check the compression with the auto-decomp. I would check the valves yourself and double check to make sure they aren't to tight cause that would make it have a little less compression and hard to start. If the valves aren't sealing you might need new valves. You will just have to take it apart and see. You can't regrind titanium valves cause of the hard coating cause once you go through that they are done. But the seats can't be ground for new valves. We got a NAPA machine shop close by that does valve jobs for like $75. They do awsome work. Don't know if I can say that about all NAPA machine shops just the one here does good work.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A guy here in town quoted me $35 to do a valve job on it, I'm gonna try it and see what happens, now I just need to get the gaskets, piston rings, etc together so I can put it back together once it's done.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll post the results, hopefully I wont need too much more help. :icon_frown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts