YFZ Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy had an engine failure. At idle the engine locked up. When we took it apart, we found the cam had locked up. looked like the cam journals lost oil pressure. Thought the cam caps had been torqued worng & cam loos causing loss of pressure & locking the cam journals. Rebuilt the top end. Started it up & we have gool oil pressure when cold then it drops drastically once it is up to temp. I tried thicker oil(50) & still have 1 psi of pressure when at temp.

Any thought?

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
the oil pumps like to go in these if there not propely broken un. But being a 04 it shouldnt be that, but it might be it.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have heard these motors arent like car motors, psi doesnt matter, the stuff just needs to get lubed.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (Jim417mx @ Feb 11 2009, 05:42 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=745380
I have heard these motors arent like car motors, psi doesnt matter, the stuff just needs to get lubed.[/b]
Even if that's true, the oil pump still needs to produce enough PSI to pump oil up to the cams right?

He said it looked like the cams seized up because they lost oil pressure, so is it possible the oil pump wasn't putting out enough to push oil up to the cams? I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud. As I've said before, I have VERY limited knowledge of the internal workings of a motor.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
did you measure the oil pump lobe clearances etc? how did the oil pump "journal" in the case look? its not uncommon to have them wear out with use and have excessive clearance...which would drop the pressure

·
Registered
132 Posts
sorry to bring somethin back from the dead but im having the same problem.. i can pull the cam caps and hit start and i can see oil come up to the head but as soon as i install the cams and cam caps no oil will come out at all and i know from experence that oil should be flowing around while engine is running. my pump is a brand new 07 if you have any answers or could point me to the right direction please let me know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts