Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keep the 439 for a while

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading that Yamaha is going to make the 05 YFZ a true 450 since the racing limits got bumped.

I really dont think they are going to do this ... they spent a lot of time and $$$ R&D'ing the YFZ's 439cc motor and it wouldnt make sense not to recoup some of that money. Look at their past history ... the YZ400F was around for 2 years and the YZ426F was around for 3 years before they were upgraded.

Also the replacement parts will cost them less if they have more years built with the 439. Im thinkin the YFZ will be a true 450 in the 2006 model year ... when the Suzuki 450 will be coming out.

10cc's isnt huge .... but its something. What do y'all think???

·
Registered
213 Posts
u also have to remember that the 426 was around until honda made a 450 then they bumped it up so they will do what it takes to compete if they think they will get even more performance with the extra 10 then u can count on it because now with the bike out they have already accomplished the major part and it would be a sijple fix because of already havin the 450 bike to rob parts from

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
It will be a true 450 I think, but don't expect much of a power increase. If anything they will do it for the marketing standpoint.

Realize that most of the buyers are not smart racers that know there is not much difference in a 439cc motor and a 449 cc motor.

So to the normal person "Man I want the Honda cause its got a BIGGER motor."

So I THINK that marketing will require the change more than the power increase.

But that's just me...

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Dec 6 2003, 08:14 PM
It will be a true 450 I think, but don't expect much of a power increase.  If anything they will do it for the marketing standpoint.

Realize that most of the buyers are not smart racers that know there is not much difference in a 439cc motor and a 449 cc motor.

But that's just me...
:stupid

·
Registered
77 Posts
I come from a car drag racing backround. Built more than enough motors to know that bigger, especially that small, is not allways better. But, the Yamaha engineers may know something we don't. Add some stroke and there may be some more low end torque, but some more side loading on the piston skirt with the same length rod. You will also get a higher piston speed which a higher piston speed may draw more air through the head = more power but at higher rpm.
More bore may show more power because less valve shrouding but I don't think it's just because of a "bigger" motor. I also feel it's for marketing. What else do you get from the bigger motor? Heavier parts and the need for more air and fuel to fill that extra volume of air. Part for part aside from the extra displacement. Maybe the SAME power may come on 500 rpm sooner. That's my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im excited to see next years color schemes as well. That would be pretty sweet if the YFZ got yearly updates like the YZ dirtbikes do.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Dec 6 2003, 06:14 PM
It will be a true 450 I think, but don't expect much of a power increase. If anything they will do it for the marketing standpoint.

But that's just me...
Give consumers more credit than that. I hope most folks do a little research before spending $7,000 on a toy, but who knows??

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Originally posted by jbplays@Dec 8 2003, 03:27 PM

Give consumers more credit than that. I hope most folks do a little research before spending $7,000 on a toy, but who knows??
I am a salesman and I am sorry but I don not give 85% of consumers any credit for product knowledge at all.

sorry

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think Yamaha marketing takes displacement figures too seriously. they have always been a "one-upper". They did this with the WaveRaider 1100, Raptor 660 and again with the WaveRunner 1300.

I suspect they're going to keep the YFZ at 439cc since they already market it as a "450".

·
Registered
446 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump+Dec 8 2003, 04:05 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pahrump @ Dec 8 2003, 04:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--jbplays@Dec 8 2003, 03:27 PM

I am a salesman and I am sorry but I don not give 85% of consumers any credit for product knowledge at all.

sorry [/b][/quote]
And then people like me walk up and tear a salesman like that a new one. No wonder they always think customers are so stupid. I always know more about to quad, truck or car I'm buying than anyone in the sales dept.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by Barely Legal+Dec 9 2003, 10:20 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Barely Legal @ Dec 9 2003, 10:20 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 8 2003, 04:05 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--jbplays
@Dec 8 2003, 03:27 PM

sorry
And then people like me walk up and tear a salesman like that a new one. No wonder they always think customers are so stupid. I always know more about to quad, truck or car I'm buying than anyone in the sales dept. [/b][/quote]
I think his point was that most consumers don't know much, they rely on the sales person to do the research for them.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
That is wxactly what I was saying.

Barely Legal, you "may" be an educated buyer, but not many folks are. I see it everyday. And yeah even before I wa in sales I alwys knew more about the product than the salesman did. But could you imagine how good of a salesman you would be if you sold what you loved?

That's what I do, so no not many buyers know more about the products I sell than I do. I don't have to pull the old "used car" sales tatics, I just know the facts.

Sorry man but you know what you do and I set and hear buyers all day everyday. And like I said 90% are uneducated.

But as far as Yamaha changing I still think we will see a true 450 but who knows.

·
Registered
54 Posts
they are not going to change it unless the pro class changes its limit to 450cc instead of 440cc. What i have heard is that the pro production class is the only one to change, and raise there limit to 450, and so that means you will probably not see the honda in many pro class races but instead in the pro production.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts