YFZ Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys i picked up another yfz and but this one had a built mx motor in it including the oil mod done. It had been rebuilt and just ridden around the yard since. I've taken it to the track twice and has performed awesome. Went riding today and happened to look at my oil vent tube and there was a metallic looking oil on the inside that dripped every now and then. Knew it's a bad sign right away and stopped. Got home and checked my oil filter to find metal shavings in the filter but my reservoir oil seems clean. Curious what do I do now to prevent further damage or is it possible/too late to do anything? The clutch does seem to slip a bit if it could be that. Quad runs perfect everytime i start it and dont hear any suspicious noises. Any help is appreciated! Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Thanks guys!

edit: metal shavings found are not magnetic.

·
Registered
858 Posts
If I cut my oil filter and pull the pleats open to see in there, I always find some metal shavings, which I think is normal. A brand new engine after break in will leave a lot of shavings. You should take a pic so we can see just how much shavings you are getting in there.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I wouldn't sweat it , that being a fresh rebuild your going to find crap in the filter for the first few oil changes .

BUT keep an eye on it and make sure it cleans up, a doesn't gets worse !

I would check for debris in the suction stage of your oil pickup screen on the rear of your oil tank, crap can accumulate there and starve the oil pump.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Get a new clutch kit as well, i have a wesico one and it works really well. Im assuming the clutch has never been changed in your quad and a new clutch will help drastically.

By the way, when a motor that spins 10,250 rpm is breaking in, its going to leave some shavings...

Buy a ton of oil filters and change them frequently. Infact, just picked up 5 k&n oil filters for mine. Cheap insurance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.