YFZ Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fuel tank Automotive exhaust

Automotive tire Tread Tire Automotive exhaust Synthetic rubber
just got this 2004 yfz450 and I rode it for about 2-3 hours until I noticed what I believe to be oil leaking out of this small hole in the bottom right of the crankcase (2nd picture) it is on the right side of the ATV and everytime I start it up and give it a few revs it begins leaking again. Is this hole supposed to be plugged or do I have a bigger problem

·
Registered
2007 Big Bore Stroker 501cc 14:1 High Comp W/Port Polish, +1 valves, 44mm Lectron on Race Fuel
2 Posts
That is actually the water pump weep hole. If it's leaking oil than that would indicate your oil seal is bad. There are 2 seals to replace, and in your case the inside one is what's allowing oil to leak. You'll have to remove the whole right side clutch cover and put in a new waterpump rebuild kit. Make sure to notice the direction the seals are installed, if put in backwards you will end up doing all over again

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is actually the water pump weep hole. If it's leaking oil than that would indicate your oil seal is bad. There are 2 seals to replace, and in your case the inside one is what's allowing oil to leak. You'll have to remove the whole right side clutch cover and put in a new waterpump rebuild kit. Make sure to notice the direction the seals are installed, if put in backwards you will end up doing all over again
I really appreciate that. Would you recommend OEM parts from partzilla? Only asking because the ones on websites like amazon seem too good to be true

·
Registered
13 Posts
get the parts from partzilla, make sure to get the seals (2)(inner and outter), the shaft, the bearring, clutch case gasket and water pump gasket. take off the clutch case, then take off the impeller, shaft. replace the seals and bearring, put everything back together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts