YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is a ton of threads on tires here, but ill ask. I'm looking for new tiresfor my quad, its most likely going to be a maxxis razr tire, but I don't know wethere to get 18 or 20" tall tires, I want to race mx, but ill still ride trais in the woods too. The fronts are going to be probably 21 7 10 razr or razr2

·
Registered
327 Posts
If your gonna run Mx go wit the 18s. I have maxxas 18 for Mx and throw on the stock wheel and tire when I'm just play riddin. Although I have ran the 18 on the trails you just have to pay a little closer attention to clearance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I came across a good deal on a set of dwt's with 18's on them and I do more trail riding than anything...and I'll be getting a set of 20's pretty soon...the 18's weren't terrible or anything but there's a lot of times I would have been much better off with those extra 2 inches

·
Registered
237 Posts
i run 18in razr tires and 21in in the front

and all that i do is trail ride...

i dont worry about clearance that much because of hefty skid plates

·
Registered
317 Posts
i run 18 rear and 19 front, i really like how the 18s feel. i ride trail only

·
Registered
90 Posts
If your running MX, go 20s in the front and 18s in the rear and change your front sproket to a 15 tooth and keep the rear the stock 38 tooth. Anytime you change the tire size it affects the gearing

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I hate my 18s and want 20s. Remember you have to go up 2" in wheel diameter to gain 1" of ground clearance. You will also have a higher top speed which matters to me because there's a lot of gravel roads I ride to get to and from the trail system.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I hate my 18s and want 20s. Remember you have to go up 2" in wheel diameter to gain 1" of ground clearance. You will also have a higher top speed which matters to me because there's a lot of gravel roads I ride to get to and from the trail system.
i run a 15 front and a 36 rear and can hit 90mph on the road with 18s on the rear. less rotational mass bro

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm more worried about the ply rating, when I do ride trails there is more than a few rocky spots, and sticks and twigs, and maybe a few small trees that are cut off, can I get an 18" tall tire in a 4 or 6 ply rating?...and roost 90 on a quad IS a bold claim. But in my opinoin, 90 is too fast for a quad, where can you go that fast besides on the road? And the road isn't legal to ride here...or at 90mph I don't think that's legal or smart on a wheeler. Fun yes. Safe, lol prolly not man.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If your going to race mx definitely 18's on the rear and 20x6 on the front but if you wanted to mess around on trails also I'd keep your stock set for that unless you wanna buy another set for woods riding I wouldn't use your mx tires for both

·
Registered
151 Posts
You're telling me your YFZ goes 90mph? on 18" tires...? That's a pretty bold claim.
Bold would have been 80 mph on 18" tires... 90mph is ludicrous. A 700R, taller than stock gearing and 20" tires doesn't even pull 90MPH.

I'm going to agree and conform to the popular opinion. 18's for MX, 20's for trail. One more inch can make a world of difference!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I came across a good deal on a set of dwt's with 18's on them and I do more trail riding than anything...and I'll be getting a set of 20's pretty soon...the 18's weren't terrible or anything but there's a lot of times I would have been much better off with those extra 2 inches
that's what she said :lol but ya 18s on 8in rim perform much better on the track than 20s cause less sidewall roll. 20s in the woods are much better. I have a set of tires and rims for mx track, 20 front 18 rear and a set for xc/trails that are the stock 21/20 which i'm very glad I have. you hit more with your skid plate w/ the 18s in the woods. If you can't get two sets of rims/tires, just get the 20s so youll be ok in the woods and if you go with 21's in the front, youll want 20s or I feel like the front will sit too high.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm thinking about a matching set if maxxis razr mx or xm 18 10 9 rear and 20 6 10 in the front

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How will 20" tall tires be on the track though? I already have 20" turf tamers on it now

·
Registered
151 Posts
You're going to have a trade off either way you go... 18" will shine on the track but will struggle in the trails. 20" will be great for the trail but will be a little less at home on the track. If you're riding primarily MX over trail, you might be content on 18's as you wouldn't spend much time where they're not comfortable. while 20" tires wont be 100% at home on a trail, they'll be MUCH better on a track than 18's would be in the woods. If you're mostly in the woods/trails, you're best bet is an aggressive 20" tire. I'm not sure if you can find something with a little stiffer side wall to be a little more comfortable for MX.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts