YFZ Central banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm finally taking my quad to Pismo and would like any advice on dune riding. I've ridden around before on 2 strokes with no paddles, but never up dunes. I don't even own a set of paddles so I'm searching Craigslist for some that I can trade for so I'm not picky on what I get. I just want some tips more or less. My wife and I will be taking turns riding while the other drives the truck with kids. I have an Athena bb, stroker crank, 43mm fcr, Ron woods pipe, Ron woods intake, cam mod, and 15-38 gearing as far as engine mods go. Any tips for a 1st timer?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and I have an MHP ported and polished stock valve head.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Just take it easy at first until you get to know the dunes. The bike sounds pretty fast. I hope your wife knows how to ride.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Ride the dune like a rainbow not straight up , use your rear brakes only dont put to much air in your paddles. Also be careful going over a dune to the other side sometimes they just drop straight down ( they call it razor back or something like that). Dont stall going up a dune !

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, yeah my wife can ride and I know Pismo pretty good from 4 wheeling in trucks. What about shifting up a hill? Do I start in 2nd under high rpm's and maybe just speed shift into 3rd? Good thing about Pismo is there's all different size dunes to practice.

·
Super Moderator
3,124 Posts
I very rarely use 1st when I'm riding in the dunes.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you must be a newb too... there's nothing fast about a bike with mhp components. :nono
Bad luck with mhp I take it? Not a newbie to riding, just in the dunes. My bike went from stock other than the HR crank to the mods it has now and it's a whole new machine. There's always someone faster, but my bike gets on it pretty good.

·
Registered
776 Posts
What dates are you going to be on the beach? I'll be there 7/26 to 8/3

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What dates are you going to be on the beach? I'll be there 7/26 to 8/3
8/1-8/3, I'm going to leave the travel trailer and just take my quad and Tahoe and camp in a tent with the family.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Maybe we can meet up sometime and I can show you around the dunes, ill be there with a big group

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe we can meet up sometime and I can show you around the dunes, ill be there with a big group
Sounds good, I've been there plenty of times so seeing the dunes on the quad will definitely be different than from in a truck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Keep your eye out for rails and trucks! I have had some really close calls at glamis..they don't always see bright colored quads I guess.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Pismo is nothing like glamis, hardly any rails at Pismo, its all the tourists that rent quads you have to look out for, every time I go I head straight to the back of the dunes 95% of the rental quads cant make it that far lol

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never thought of that, I'm from San Diego so I am also familiar with Glamis. Will 14-38 gearing be better for just playing around? The only problem I have with the 15t front is that I have my shifter as high as it can go and I can't get my boots under, I need one more spline.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
stock gearing (14/ 38 ) seems to work better for the dunes. 15/38 is a bit tall for sand, you would need a fairly built motor for that (65hp+)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
stock gearing (14/ 38 ) seems to work better for the dunes. 15/38 is a bit tall for sand, you would need a fairly built motor for that (65hp+)
That's what I was thinking, the 15/38 works great for me in the dirt, but with my wife's 105 lbs too I'm thinking I should go down, thanks.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have never been to pismo.. its too far from phoenix lol, I have heard its only like 1500 acres.. what a shame too much has been closed due to those satan worshiping tree huggers.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I have never been to pismo.. its too far from phoenix lol, I have heard its only like 1500 acres.. what a shame too much has been closed due to those satan worshiping tree huggers.
lol thanks for the laugh, Satan worshiping tree huggers. :lol:clap

·
Registered
242 Posts
Keep your eye out for rails and trucks! I have had some really close calls at glamis..they don't always see bright colored quads I guess.
Great advise here! I used to ride Pismo all the time but once I went to the big dunes I hardly go there. People just don't pay attention out there. Just watch the drops ususally away from the ocean and stupid people and you should be good. I've been racing and had rentals cut me off in the middle of the drag strip way to many times. Just keep your momentum up hills and 2-3rd gear will climb any hill out there.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts