YFZ Central banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have been seeing a lot of people on here running a 15 tooth front sprocket. I do alot of fast trail riding and some of everything else, ha ha. I want to get a little more topspeed out of the quad, but dont want it too slow to accelerate on the track. I was thinking about dropping 2 teeth in the back, I think that would bring me from a 38 to a 36. I have heard that dropping teeth in the back is not as good as just gaining 1 in the front, as you still want a pretty big sprocket in the back for torque, and if you just add one in the front, you dont feel the drop in torque as much, but you still gain topend.
I was thinking the other good thing about taking 2 off the back is the tiny bit of ground clearance you may gain.
So I guess my question is, will I be loosing a lot of lowend by going to a 15 tooth front sprocket. How much topend will I gain? 10% or so? How have you guys liked your 15 tooth front sprocket, and how much did you notice it, low and high??
Thanks a lot! By the way, my mods are listed on my signature in case you where wondering. Thanks!!! ~135boom

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and , is going to a 15 tooth front, like dropping 3-4 in the rear? Do I have that right?
I think what I am going to do is just by your standard renthal or whom ever is cheaper, but wont break on me and test it out. Then, I'll buy a real nice set of those sidewinders, with a new chain as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Boom,
adding 1 tooth to the front is equivalent to dropping 2-3 off of the rear..... You actually are able to fine tune your gearing a little more by making your change at the rear sprocket...
Later
Joe

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
i would recomend staying with a nice cheap steel sprocket.... dont wast time on the expecsive aluminum ones.... they are light weight... but cost a lot more, and wear out much faster than steel.

if you need one.... we have 5 steel 15 th sprockets in stock.... they are $12.95

·
Registered
625 Posts
Boom, here is some gearing ratios.

14-38=2.71 stock
14-36=2.57
15-38=2.53
15-36=2.4 I have this for 18" rears

Geoff.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks, I really appreciate it. I think I am going to go with the 15 tooth front sprocket. If its too low, then I'll get a 36 rear. I dont think it will be though. Right now I really need to gear for a little more topend, and less bottem end, cause I cant keep the dang thing on the ground. The power is too explosive off the line. NEVER did I think I would say that, but its true! It could definitely use some more on top though!

·
Registered
465 Posts
where are yall getting your rear sprockets from. i cant seem to find any on the net.

·
Registered
465 Posts
what type are you using. i see they have several different kinds with prices ranging from 49 to 149. thanks.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'd recommend the ti sprockets.

Geoff.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I am running a JT steel 15 tooth from Paul at Woodward Specialties. Get one, there 12.95 and it fit great and works perfectly. Plus his service is second to none :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts