YFZ Central banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I just ordered the oem relay from rockymountain but i don't think they sell the actual relay socket that is attached to the wiring harness. see the pictures below. mine is completely rusted and filthy. i also have no idea how to take the socket off without messing up the wires? for now i am hoping to just clean the white relay socket with some electrical contact cleaner and just install the new relay. hopefully it'll solve my problem until i find a new white relay socket.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Had the same problem when you wash it water is funneled right onto the relay where the seat latch is.I avoid that area now when washing

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Had the same problem when you wash it water is funneled right onto the relay where the seat latch is.I avoid that area now when washing

Yeah I learned the hard way. Did you have to remove the white relay socket or you just replaced the relay itself?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I just replaced the relay.if you can't find the socket why can't you just use spade connectors that fit the posts on the relay?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
You can eliminate the socket and simply use spade terminals, but you'll run the risk of confusion if you ever need to remove the terminals for replacement of the relay or anything like that. I prefer plug-and-play. Spade terminals will do the job, of course, but if you need to remove the relay later, you'd better mark the terminals for reassembly. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I still haven't even tried to remove the socket. I just don't see how to take the wires out of it. Either way I ordered the wrong relay, they sent me the relay for the headlight assembly but it was my fault. I went ahead and ordered the right relay and ill be picking it up this weekend at my local dealer. Hopefully when I plug it in, it'll work and I wont have to remove the socket.
Does it matter if I always leave the ignition switch on the left side of the handlebars always on? I usually always leave it on and turn on the bike or off through the key.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Dabbed that is what I have been doing for 100 hours. Handle bar switch stays on and I use the ignition switch for on and off.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
This connector is under your seat next to the battery with the two fuses? I will check how bad mine is and post a photo. There might be a weak acid solution that you could dip the connector in to remove the grime? I will do some research...

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Connector? If your talking about the relay that I need to replace, its located right next to the ecu in the tail light plastic. I posted some pics of the relay socket above. I suggest checking yours, you never know if a lot of water has been damaging yours also while washing the quad.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Wow..mine looks brand new. I'm going to use some dielectric grease and put them in some bags like I did with my Vortex.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
^wish I could say the same thing lol. I am guessing mine was getting soaked everytime I would wash the bike. I would always cover the vortex but not the relay.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
I had my relay zip tied vertically and the connector was underneath. Dumb luck I didn't do this on purpose...lol...I was trying to get the wires in there so they didn't push my Vortex to the right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is like the 5th time my bike does not want to start out of nowhere. When I turn the key and then turn on the ignition if I don't hear the fuel pump prime the bike doesn't turn on. It has been working fine for about 2 months. About a month after I bought the bike I got stranded in the woods for half an hour because the fuel pump was not turning on, this was on the stock ecu too. I think its a connection or electrical issue because it works fine for a while and then it doesn't. I went to the track Saturday and after 2 sessions when I went to turn on the bike I didn't hear the fuel pump turn on and I knew it.

Reason I am making this thread is to see if anyone can help me diagnose the problem before I go ahead and take out the fuel pump today. Maybe there are some connections I should check that I am missing. I read on here that the fuel pump has a filter that can be clogged?

Mods are barkers exhaust, FCI, and vortex. Not sure if this can be a mechanical problem because last time my dyno guy couldn't fix my AFR with the vortex.
Hi I have the same problem with my yfz which relay was it thanks

21 - 35 of 35 Posts