YFZ Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just reading on another forum about Selector having a GYTR piston go south on him and was curious as to details...since I just ordered one....lmao.......JIM

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Jim, the piston was not the cause. I believe that the circlip came out, or was never put in correctly, and the wrist pin slid out and then all hell broke loose.

When you install the circlips make sure they "snap" in place. When instaling mine I thought I had mine in all the way then I remembered selector's problem and made sure. Sure enough one of them needed just a little more of a push to get in good.

I have had zero problems and now have about 20 hours on the piston.

I think Erik (selector) had his forst piston installed at the Yammha shop and they fudged it up and then did not take the blame. :angry

·
Registered
773 Posts
Mine failed w/ about 20 hours on the machine. The dealer installed it prior to my taking delivery. At this point I'm not certain where the problem was. I'll put it another way... I have another JE in and I've already prepared myself for re-re-building.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I don't see how it could fail unless there was an install problem.

·
Registered
773 Posts
If the piston lacks support in critical areas, failure is always a possibility - just like any part that interacts or relies upon another.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
True, so I guess you are implying part failure due to a bad part. But not that it came apart just cause of the higher compression.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by Pahrump@Dec 8 2003, 09:58 AM
True, so I guess you are implying part failure due to a bad part.  But not that it came apart just cause of the higher compression.
I'm not a metal guy/piston builder so I really don't know. What I do know is that it was either installed wrong or weak. The thing had no more than 20 hours on it and should probably lasted longer. In the beginning, I thought it was the install, but I've had several conversations with some big name motor builders that have questioned that very piston/application. Not all have questioned it but several have.

·
Registered
631 Posts
a buddy of mine had the same problem selector did. the circlip let go & all he!! broke loose. when you put the piston in double check everything as you go along. my buddy got lucky & the dealer replaced the engine being how they installed the piston. go slow & double check everything & you should be alright

andy

·
Registered
3 Posts
when you or whoever installed the piston which way did they install the c-clip? the open end should be at 12 o clock or 6 o clock if its not the clip will pop out because when the piston goes up and down it compress the clip and flys out. if you put it at 12 o clock it pushes against the piston and wont come out. pistons just dont fail :nono :nono :nono

·
Registered
773 Posts
Originally posted by jeremy@Dec 8 2003, 04:38 PM
pistons just dont fail :nono :nono :nono
One improperly designed certainly can.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Well I did everything right as far as the circlips goes and anything else I know of. If mine just accidently fails my wife is gonna kill me.

But oh well I guess if it does I will just have to go bigger :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts