YFZ Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im planning on possibly getting an mx port and dropping in a 12.5:1 piston how do u guys thing it will affect my reliability???

·
Registered
210 Posts
You will be fine. You might want to run a mixture of race gas/regular unleaded. A lot of people go with even higher compression and stroker cranks/rods and get years out of their engines without a problem. The key is to use good oil and keep it maintained. And since u have an 05 the oil update might be a good investment.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
QUOTE (jt77 @ Feb 8 2009, 11:21 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=743713
The key is to use good oil and keep it maintained. And since u have an 05 the oil update might be a good investment.[/b]
Very good points here.

I ran an OEM WR crank and piston in my YFZ for over 2 years of hard MX racing with no problems. Like he said though, I had the oil mod done while I had it apart, which I think is a VERY good idea to any '06 or older YFZ. But like he mentioned, maintenance is key. I always ran Amsoil in my bike, changed the oil and filter every ride or two, cleaned the air filter every ride, and used good fuel. I've always heard that 12.5:1 can be ran with pump gas, but I always ran race gas in mine just because.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i actually decided on the 12.5 because i wanted 2 stay on pump gas. but ya i agree im going 2 get the oil mod done eather before or durring my teardown 2 do the head and piston.
thanks boys!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts