YFZ Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to find a high compression piston that will raise my '04 to 12.5:1. I thought the GYTR's did but the ones I can find online are 13.0:1......

Thanks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try a CP piston..I believe they have a 12.5:1

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dont know the brands to look at to help you, but will say 13:1 and over gets costly in fuel requirements.

My 13:1 takes a 60/40 mix of 110 and premium 93 and to mix 10 gallons costs me $80.00

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
If you want to stay pump gas friendly 12.5:1 is the way to go. If you want to run anything higher your going to at least need a nice race fuel to mix and if you go higher then that you need a straight race fuel!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you replaced your crank yet? Now would be the time.
Everything is stock inside the motor. The motor will be torn down this week and they will be checking out the crank for any play. So far the plan is new piston and cam chain....the rest will depend on what they find once it is opened up.

I dont want a 13.1 so its either I will stick to a stock piston or if I can find a good reliable 12.5. Most likely it will be another stock piston seeing as I got 10 years out of the first one!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will I see much of a difference between the stock piston and a 12.5 piston?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats kind of what I figured. Seeing as I had great luck out of the stock setup, I am going to stick with that for now. Thanks everyone for your input!

·
Registered
439 Posts
Everything is stock inside the motor. The motor will be torn down this week and they will be checking out the crank for any play. So far the plan is new piston and cam chain....the rest will depend on what they find once it is opened up.

I dont want a 13.1 so its either I will stick to a stock piston or if I can find a good reliable 12.5. Most likely it will be another stock piston seeing as I got 10 years out of the first one!

Good call on the cam chain, I replace mine every time I open it up. Just a word of caution, I have seen several cranks that checked out just fine but gave out shortly after a rebuild. With 10 years of riding on it, seems like good insurance to replace it now. The added (or renewed) compression will put more load on the crank.

As for pistons, I only run stock in my XC quad. They are reliable and work great. I used to run high comp pistins in my MX quads, but am in the process of switching them all over to 12.5:1 pistons now that I am done racing. Wiseco and CP are two good pump gas friendly piston options if you want to go other then OEM.

·
Registered
6 Posts
if i get a 12.75:1 cp piston for my 07 yfz450 se will i need to go with race gas or mix?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts